iPod touch Are the Earphone Jacks supposed to stay half outside?

Peatar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
My Ipod Touch earphone jack is half exposed when I plug it in, is it supposed to be like this? Also, I find that my music keeps constantly stopping when listening with earphones plugged in. Is something wrong with my Ipod?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
There is something wrong ... are you sure you are pushing them in as far as they will go?

Peatar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Okay, sorry I exaggerated a bit. There are 3 white lines on the jack and the last one is exposed.

Peatar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Yeah. I got them with the Touch. They are the ones with a built-in mic and volume control system thing.

Peatar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Yeah, as far as they can go. I have to constantly keep pushing them back in to make sure the music doesn't stop :(

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Yeah, as far as they can go. I have to constantly keep pushing them back in to make sure the music doesn't stop :(
Then something is wrong, with either the headphones or the iPod.

Do you have another set of earphones you can try?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I initially had this problem with my earbuds, too. You have to push the connector in farther than you think, until you feel a click/snap and the jack is securely engaged. You will feel it when the connection is as it should be. You'll be able to turn the device upside down and the connection will remain intact & unaffected. The white rubber connector should be flush up against the bottom of the Touch. :)

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
The last part of the push is harder than the rest (on my new touch). The whole metal part of the plug should be inside the iPod when you have pushed it far enough. Then the sound should stop cutting out also.

Greg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.