Are the edges bothering you?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hafr, Oct 31, 2011.

1. hafr macrumors 68030

I just saw this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnGAlf1hjs4 and it made me wonder. I've never experienced any trouble with the edges, and no matter how I try I can't seem to be able to find a position in which the edges would be annoying even after hours on end.

But I'm guessing this guy isn't doing this because he's imagining it, and after a quick search on google it seems like there a quite a few people getting "suicide cuts" on their wrists just by using their macbook pro's.

If there's anyone out there nodding their heads thinking "yeah dude, these edges are killing me", I'd be interested in seeing pictures on your setup or how you place your hands/arms :)

2. dusk007, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I get a red line on my palm when my hand rests on the touchpad.
    I think it is a design flaw that clearly shows that function follows form with Apple.
    I can live with it but if there was one thing I would change about my MBP that would be it. After I got it I used to put something in between when gaming and doing some stuff.
    It really would not require much to make it much better, but I mean to resell this notebook otherwise I would have done the same thing as that guy already.

3. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

I really noticed it when I first got my MBP, now I don't notice anything. But it could just be because when I first got my MBP I was playing a lot of World of Warcraft so maybe the way I used the trackpad for it made me apply more pressure, or it could be because Ive worn them down now, or I could even be used to it. Who knows! I don't play WoW anymore so I can't be sure which is the real reason haha

4. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

The sharp edges are a given and well known. Any bozo who buys a MB then complains about it like it's some kind of surprise is an idiot.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'm not a big fan, but I have an aluminum MacBook, which for some reason has slightly softer edges than the newer unibody model MBPs, so it doesn't bother me too terribly much.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I personally hate the edges, which is why I got the air. I think the reason is because of my veins, they pop out around there, the air solves that problem with such a low profile.

7. jdsingle macrumors regular

It is definitely one thing that bothers me, it's part of the reason I just use a separate keyboard when I am at home. It's too uncomfortable otherwise.

8. hafr thread starter macrumors 68030

But... How do you manage to put pressure on your wrists? The palm-thing whilst using the trackpad in intense situations I get, but the wrists? Do you have the laptop elevated, or right at the edge of the desk?

9. Mersailios macrumors regular

The edges on my MacBook Pro haven't bothered me at all to be honest.

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It very much depends on how you place it.
    I cannot remember how I did it but I remember placing CoD MW2 and using some kind of paper to cushion my left wrist.
    After a while you also feel it less than initially. The same way when I started Tea kwon do a long time ago, doing push ups on my knuckles hurt a lot and after a while I hardly felt it even when doing it on hard concrete.
    It is still a stupid design though. I have two red bands now a bit below the wrist. I just hardly feel it anymore. It is not a lot of pressure but depending on the position it is enough to be very uncomfortable with this really very sharp edge.

11. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

12. hinkamp macrumors newbie

13. Ramunas macrumors member

14. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

They're not bothering me at all. I have my whole hand on the computer so I'm not even touching the edges.

15. DoctorOwl macrumors newbie

People were complaining about the same thing in 2009 when I bought my 13" unibody MBP. I've never had a problem; and wondered if it was just poor machining on some models or something.

16. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Only seldomly, but then I adjust the position of my wrists and off I go.

17. satchow macrumors 6502

I use an Incase shell around my MBP so the sharp edges are not a problem.

18. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

I've never been bothered by the aluminium cases in regards to sharp edges, but the plastic macbook I found very uncomfortable to use at first.