Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super Xander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Denmark
Hi forum
I wonder if there has been a change to the thermal control in the new 13 MBP with dual fans / 10th gen Intel processors so the fans are on all the time like the 16-inch MacBook Pro.

I remember that all the 13-inch MacBook Pro from 2016-2019 under easy load never turns on the fans, and I wonder if it's the same with this new one?

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
It’s the same with the new models. I have a 10th Gen i5 2020 MacBook Pro, and the fans are completely off in low-load situations. I monitor with TGPro. It seems that the fans kick on once CPU temp hits about 70C (in my very unscientific observation), and they will again turn off once CPU temps drops back down.

This is a nice chance coming from a 2017 15 inch. The fans are always running on the 45-watt machines, albeit at a whisper until temps rise. I’m kind of obsessive about dust getting sucked into the computer, so if the fans are off, my worry is somewhat alleviated. Crazy, I know...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.