Are the "Geniuses" screwing me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doublebassdanny, Jul 16, 2009.

1. doublebassdanny macrumors newbie

I bought a used MBP 2.4ghz with the 8600M GT GPU about a month ago. It promptly had some display issues, where the screen would be on, but dark for the bottom 2/3rds of the screen, but everything displayed fine above that. I took it in to see if it was the 8600M GT problem, and the genius hooked it up to an external monitor to which is displayed just fine while the LCD was still displaying wrong, and he declared it just fine. So, my question to you is this: is this a correct diagnosis, or is it possible that the GPU really is the culprit even if you can get a good output on an external display?

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Its the GPU and the screen on the Macbook Pro.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I take it is the external display that is having problems, it's somewhat confusing me? However, I doubt if 2/3rds of either screen was showing up wrong Apple would deem it "okay"

4. wankey macrumors 6502a

This is an easy case to solve.

Plug your 8600gt to an external monitor, if it displays fine, then your video card is fine. It is your main display that is at fault.

5. doublebassdanny thread starter macrumors newbie

So it is both? How did you come to that conclusion? I was assuming that since I can press on the back of the casing by the screen that it is a ribbon cable issue, but I am new to this whole thing so I though I'd ask. I also would not know where to go from there if it is a problem with the cable.

6. doublebassdanny thread starter macrumors newbie

This answers my question perfectly, and that's what I was thinking as well.

Thanks! Now I just have to figure out where to go from here since I'm out of warranty.

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Well the screen obviously has a flaw because the external monitor works, and the GPU may be causing the screen the problems.

8. doublebassdanny thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay... is there anywhere I could get a parts list including functions of the different components of the screen. I am trying to do this as cheap as possible, so if it's just a cable, I'd rather replace that then the entire screen + inverter + whatever else.

Thanks a lot guys, I'm a newb to mac.

9. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I think you should call Apple and demand them for a new screen, you only bought it a month ago. I don't even know why Apple is still selling these Macbook Pros even though they know they are defective. Just another way to make money I guess.

10. doublebassdanny thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it from a friend unfortunately - I knew it had the problem when I got it, but it happened every once in a blue moon and I could just tap the back of the screen to fix it. Now it's stuck that way :(

11. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Oh I see. Well I don't know what to, maybe others here will help you.

12. doublebassdanny thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah hopefully. I unplugged the inverter cable and now its plugged back in but the backlight wont flip on. ARGH!

13. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You really should read the thread before posting.
    1. The OP bought this Mac secondhand, not from Apple.
    2. This Mac is not suffering from the 8600 issue, it just has a bad display.
    :rolleyes:

14. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Some of those MBP's have obvious LCD backlight and/or "bleeding" issues which can be more severe than others out of the box. It doesn't make it right, but it's usually more noticeable on a flat background like when the computer boots up and you can see the lines against the grey screen.

Set your desktop background to a single, light color and see how it looks normally.

15. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

This is a bad screen.

There are several vendors who sell replacement displays. Here's one.

http://www.blisscomputers.net/apple.aspx - look for the 15" LED version.

There are also take apart guides out there. I've done it and it's not to be taken lightly. If you are not very knowledgeable in hardware repairs try to find a local AASC to handle the repair. Most will charge $350 - $400 just for the screen so many times it's better to just buy the screen elsewhere and have the AASC install.

Cheers,

16. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I obviously can't read that he bought it secondhand and I don't know much about the 8600 issue. I'm stupid ok. You win. :rolleyes:

17. max-bear macrumors newbie

Backlighting causing the issue?

It could be the backlighting of the screen if it is all displaying well? I'm not sure if your model uses CCFL or LED Backlighting.

Edit: Sorry I took along time to post and I have been beaten to it!

18. doublebassdanny thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool... that's a solid answer I was looking for and what I was thinking. Now my question is: should I cut my losses and not bother since the 8600M GT is bound to go bad down the road, or should I go ahead and drop the $300 or so on it?

19. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I personally would not put $300 into the 8600-based system. There are people who will buy it as is and you can put your money toward a new or refurb with the 9600m.

Cheers,