Are the iPad 2 docks available at physical Apple Stores?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by dxr808s, Mar 23, 2011.

1. dxr808s macrumors member

My dock supposedly ships April 1st. I just realized I need to grab an extra one as well.

Does anyone know if the iPad 2 docks are available at Apple stores? Or are they not coming out until April?

Thanks.

2. cbronfman macrumors 6502

No, I went to a store in the DC area yesterday (Bethesda Row) and they were mighty frustrated. They are getting very few iPad2's infrequently, and no accessories. And you can imagine they have people asking all the time. I wanted to know whether it was aluminum or white. Since I have a nice black iPad2, I don't want white. I'm very fussy. Besides, I'd like to see it.

3. fishcube macrumors 6502

I bought a first gen iPad dock and it works perfectly with iPad 2.

4. dxr808s thread starter macrumors member

Really? I would rather go that route since my gf has a first gen and then we could both use it. But I have read it is too wobbly, especially if you're using an iPad 2.

5. seanpholman macrumors regular

I was thinking about getting an iPad 1 dock because the iPad 2 dock doesn't look like it will work with a smart cover.

--Sean

6. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

You can see it on Apple's website. It is white and looks almost identical to the 1st gen dock, except that it has a "lip" on the front of it that runs along the front edge of the iPad sort of how the iPhone 4 dock works.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC940ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE&mco=MjE1MDI5MTE

7. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I bought an iPad 2 dock from an Apple store at launch and when I was at the store yesterday, I saw they still had plenty. This is in San Diego.

And yes, the dock works fine with the smart cover attached.

8. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Are you certain it was the iPad 2 dock? Because my local store didn't have any at launch.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I had purchased an 1st gen dock last year, then bought a case which wouldn't fit in the dock, so I never ended up even opening the box for the dock. I opened it today and tried it with the iPad 2 and indeed it fits perfectly, so well in fact that I don't even see what they could possibly have done to make it fit better. Is the iPad 2 dock just a rebadge?

10. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

They made it fit better by adding a lip. I think the idea is to prevent it from falling "forward" due to the iPad being thinner. I think the dock in general is kind of crappy anyway because it's not weighted enough to prevent the iPad from falling over and such.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Ya I just noticed the lip on apple.com. Actually I think the lip is more for helping seat the iPad quickly, since the dock connector is sort of awkwardly placed almost on the back, as opposed to the bottom of the iPad 1. It took some concentration for me to line up the connector to the iPad 1 dock today. The lip would make it easy to quickly lock it in place.

12. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Positive. My sales associate even said they packed up all the first gen docks and replaced them with the new version. It is confusing because the box just says iPad, not iPad 2, but even the iPad 2's box just says iPad.

I didn't use a dock with my first iPad, and so far I've found it to be a nice convenience. It seems stable enough, but you just have to be careful if you tap the screen hard.

13. jedolley macrumors 68000

Mind posting a pic of the dock? Preferably a close up on a side angle.

14. seanpholman macrumors regular

Are you sure? Please post a pic with the dock and Smart Cover. My store still has a wall of original docks, no iPad 2 docks and none expected until April. The iPad 2 dock clearly has a lip that would seem to prevent a Smart Cover equipped iPad 2 from fitting.

Thanks,

--S

15. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Omg.... You're right! I just examined my dock closely and compared it to the pics online and it's not the same. Can't believe the sales person that helped me was so wrong. We even had the discussion because I questioned why the box didn't say it was for the iPad 2!

Even though the iPad 2 fits into the first gen dock, I think the lip on the new version will help you aline the iPad with the connector easier. Glad I discovered this before the 2 week window to return it closed

16. seanpholman macrumors regular

I may go ahead and just get an original dock so it works with my Smart Cover. Thanks for the clarification.

--Sean

17. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Just a warning, it's actually kind of hard getting the opening on the iPad 2 to line up with the connector because it's on the sloping side of the iPad. Sometimes I have to pick the dock up to get it inserted out of fear of scratching the back when you miss to often. Knowing now that there is a better design available is encouraging. Now if the smart cover can remain attached is another question.

18. seanpholman macrumors regular

Yeah, that is an odd surface for a connector. Looking at the the 2 dock, I just don't see a Smart Cover working. I hope someone proves me wrong.

--Sean

19. EricJD, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

EricJD macrumors regular

Just take the cover off.

---------------------Eric

20. UNVME macrumors newbie

Y do you need a dock when u can fold the smart cover and it stands up on it long ways and download a good alarm clock app and now u have a 800$ touch screen alarm clock that is what I do

21. dru106 macrumors member

Is there anything special about the dock besides it syncs and charges the iPad in portrait?

22. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I'm using my iPad 2 with the first gen dock right now and though it's great that the smart cover fits on it, it isn't 100% stable and it can wobble left and right with the slightest touch. Makes me a bit uneasy really.

I love Apple, but I think it's BS that they had to create a new dock with a tiny bit of plastic front that seems to on purpose, prevent docking the ipad with a smart cover. It reminds me of the iPhone 4 + bumper and iPhone 4 dock and how those didn't work together. Really, why?

Very annoying.

23. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

They didn't have the new Dock (or any Dock, for that matter) at the Apple Store in downtown Montreal when I went by today.

Disappointed. :(

24. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

Cosmo M3

Lol...

25. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

Never got any in at the three Los Angeles stores I've been in lately. At least they said that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk