Are the iPhone 3GS speakers supposed to be fuzzy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lemons!, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Lemons! macrumors member

Like if I play the music from the phone at like 60+ percent, is it suppose to have static or fuzzy sounds up close? Or is that just how it is?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Only ONE speaker; the other is the microphone. Just go into Settings>iPod and you can make adjustments to the EQ.....

3. Lemons! thread starter macrumors member

It's not just the music, it's also music from games. The music I use are all 320kbps. I don't have EQ enabled, is that bad?

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You didn't help him at all. Geeze. He was wondering if it's supposed to sound "fuzzy" or "static-y". How does adjusting the EQ fix that?

To the OP: It's not supposed to sound like that. At 60% volume it should sound crisp and clear with no distortion. Take it back to Apple.

5. Lemons! thread starter macrumors member

A song with a lot of bass, would that affect the fuzziness? Also, my brother has the same thing with his 3gs so I don't know if this is normal or not because we've never had an iPhone before. So we're not really sure how the sound quality should be like on the phone.

When I use the earphones, it's fine. Also just to be clear, this is without a dock.

6. davyreins macrumors 6502

Sounds like your speaker is defective, but don't expect too much from the speaker once you get a working one. Some people have unrealistic expectations for it when it plays at full strength...

7. NathanA macrumors 6502a

True dat. The built-in speaker will absolutely peak out/distort at higher volume levels. I have used 3 3Gs and 3 3GSes and I have never expeienced one that didn't easily and readily have the distortion. But it's to be expected...I mean, sheesh: that speaker is hecka tiny.

But just to make sure that yours isn't worse than normal, you should play with another phone and compare. If yours is noticeably and demonstratably worse, you should have no trouble getting a replacement.

-- Nathan

8. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

while were on the subject of speakers, is it possible to "blow" your iPhone speaker. Assuming its probably possible, I guess the better question is how rare/difficult is it?

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Well, ALMIGHTY Spaz, (May I look up to you as I speak?) I am quickly losing favor with you! Adjusting the EQ will take out the way too much bass from his iPhone and the iPhone speaker isn't gonna' sound anything close to a dock or your headphones for that matter. It's actually gonna' sound like my 68 Chevy Implala Low-Rider rattling my license plate frames and my entire trunk...:eek::eek::eek:

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

No music should sound distorted at 60% volume on FLAT EQ. His iPhone is defective.

11. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Not true, you're assuming that the music was recorde correctly with no clipping.
    If the source has clipping, it will distort at ALL volume levels. This is particularly true of heavy bass material.
    Also, if this is the case, adjusting the EQ will not help as it's the clipping that is causing the distortion, not the bass levels.

You missed his point about the fact that his brother's iPhone also sounds the same. Two faulty iPhones in the same family?...doubt it.
    It's probably the music.
    I would advise getting a piece of music from another source, high quality and try that on yours and your brother's phones.
    If possible, play the clip in Audacity (free download for the Mac if you have one) or similar and see if the waveform is cut off at the top or not

12. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

I also noticed that my 3Gs speaker doesn't seem to sound as crisp as the speaker on my 3G did... or perhaps its just louder, so the volume ratio is off of what i'm used to..

13. lavinci macrumors 6502

My speakers do sound bad when a text message comes in as if it is distorted. Many users here have tried swapping it out but can confirm it is not a hardware issue.

But, yours at 60% is abnormal and should warranty a warranty exchange.