Are the issues with external 4K/5K monitors on MBP15 fixed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaKin211, Nov 4, 2018.

1. MaKin211 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I am planning on ordering a new 2018 MacBook Pro 15 with 555X/560X GPU and at the moment I am driving an LG 27UD88 but was planning on investing in the LG 34WK95U but after reading about it not working on the 2018 MBP15 I am now worried that my current monitor won’t work properly either. Can you give me some insight?

Is the reason known yet? Is it SW or HW related and has there been some talk about upcoming fixes? I’ve read everywhere that it’s all across forums but actually I could not find too much unfortunately. I guess Apple and LG are blaming each other...?

Thanks in advance!

2. csurfr macrumors 68020

I had an LG 34" curved Ultrawide and didn't have any issues via a usb-c to hdmi cable. The only reason I switched was because I wanted a retina-like display. I'm using the 4k UltraFine with a second one on the way. I've not really had any issues per se. The other day after upgrading to 14.1 it was flickering randomly when I plugged it in. However, after unplugging and plugging it back in it seems to have resolved.

What specific problems are you referencing?

edit: for clarity, I have the 2018 15" MacBook Pro with the 555X

3. MaKin211 thread starter macrumors newbie

Problems with not waking up properly, black screens, kernel panics. Is your MacBook with your monitor waking up properly after mouse movement or keyboard strokes?

And how is it with charging your 15” MBP? The monitor only provides 60W instead of 85W. Is it enough to “keep it alive”?

4. csurfr macrumors 68020

So I'd say that about 95% of the time it wakes fine. Every once in a while the 4k Ultrafine won't. I never had issues with the 34". As far as charging goes, I've never actually tried it with just the 4k display. I have an extra 87w adapter that I keep plugged in at my desk, so I plug both the screen and the charger in and then toss my MbP in a 12 south book arc.

If you'd like I can run the machine with just the monitor and let you know how it keeps up? Albeit my workflow isn't terribly demanding (VS Code / WebStorm / 3-4 Terminal Tabs running Node, Mongo, etc.)

5. MaKin211 thread starter macrumors newbie

That’d be great! Thanks a lot for your useful information. Do you by any chance use a eGPU?

Thanks

6. csurfr macrumors 68020

No, I don't. I'll let you know how it goes.

7. robvas macrumors 68030