Are the LED displays worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by EvanAgee, Oct 21, 2010.

1. EvanAgee macrumors member

EvanAgee

I'm a little upset with my experience with Apple Displays. I currently own 4 of them, 2x20" Aluminum ACDs and 2x23" Aluminum ACDs. Every one of them has some sort of display issue after only around 4 years of use. MOst are extremely dark, one of them has very strange ghosting issues, etc.

I'm wondering if I should be jumping ship and going with something else? I see some amazing Samsung displays for $300 that look as good, if not better than the Apple Displays.

What I can't figure out is why, other than the built-in camera, would Apple be asking so much for their displays?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Go for it. At least when those start to go south in three or four years it won't cost as much to replace them. :cool:

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Most sub $300 monitors use TN panels which aren't nearly as good as IPS panels. They may look the same in-store but you can notice the difference when looking closely. Apple uses IPS displays which bump the cost. Remember that there is "Apple tax" as well.

The 27" is a good deal. Dell U2711 which uses the same panel is 949$ but it has CCFL backlight

4. EvanAgee thread starter macrumors member

EvanAgee

That's what I wanted to know. I wasn't sure if there was a difference in the display technology. Thanks!

5. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

Also some people are having those sound issues with the 27in...I personally haven't had any problem with them yet *knocks on wood*.