Are the lock buttons on 5S's supposed to be hard to push?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TantalizedMind, May 17, 2014.

1. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

I just got a 5S a few days ago and the lock button is REALLY hard to push. My iPhone 4 lock button took no effort. I have to grip this 5S pretty darn hard.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

something might be wrong with it. i've never experienced a lock button that was difficult to push. i'd look into an exchange.

3. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Should take no effort to push
    If it does its faulty

4. RebornProphet Suspended

The 5s lock button assembly is a slightly different design to the one used on the 5.

I find that my 5s and my wife's 5s lock buttons are quite "low" and while not flush with the antenna band they are lower than our 4s's that went before.

My friend who just got his 5 back from Apple for the lock button fix that was rolled out also said his new lock button is lower than his previous one so I wonder if the 5s assembly is being used to repair eligible 5's too.

5. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Is there anyway to figure out when this phone was manufactured? Maybe newer 5S's lock buttons are different?... I love this phone but it's quite hard to push the lock button.

6. iOS7.1 macrumors member

Mine is actually quite hard to push, but the benefit is that it doesn't have the dreaded wiggle sound like almost all of the other 5S's.

I would keep it if I were you. It should loosen up over time.

7. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Does it seem that your two phones need effort when hitting the lock button? It really seems strange to me. I had my original iPhone 4 replaced after two years because the lock button stopped working. It was permanently pushed down and Verizon said it couldn't be fixed.

And having a brand new 5S that seems "stiff" is making me nervous.

8. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

EVERYONE..... I'm an idiot. ITS THE CASE IM USING. I bought the case the same time I bought the 5S so I never used the phone without it.

After reading one of the replies about the lock button see in lower than usual not flush, I took off my Belkin case to look at the lock button and pressed it and wow... the lock button works fine.

I had a Belkin case on my iPhone 4 and loved it but maybe I shouldn't have bought this one. Some of the boxes said "For iPhone 5 / 5S" but I liked the one I bought and it only says "For iPhone 5". I assumed it didn't matter.... They are the same shape/lengths.

Is the lock button really "shorter" on the 5S? Either way it seems I am going to have to return this case and get another one. Which stinks cause I love this case. It's hard rubber, bright green and the rear is clear so you can see the whole back of the phone.

I feel noobish. :)