Are the New 2011 iMacs Capable?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by I AM THE MAN, May 27, 2011.

1. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

Hey everyone. I am really thinking of purchasing a new 2011 iMac (the i7 3.4ghz with the 2 GB AMD Graphics Card). My real question is...How well will my computer be able to do the following tasks:

-Video Editing (M2TS 1080i 17,000 kbs) (Clips from Nikon Coolpix L110 + T3i)

-Photo Editing (Photoshop RAW IMAGES from T3i)

-Playing Games via Steam and Bootcamp (TF2, L4D, Elder Scrolls 5, etc)

-Multitasking (with a future installation of 16GB RAM).

Thank you for your answers in advance.

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

More than capable. Hopefully you get one with no screen defect. Speed is just fine for what you want.

3. Steamrunner macrumors member

Hell yes, but as we've already suggested to you in your other thread, you don't need an iMac- you'll be much better off buying a DSLR.

4. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I don't disagree that was a weird post. But if the OP wants one and has the funds, let 'em have their fun.

5. I AM THE MAN thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha thanks for your comment. Honestly right now, I will be most likely purchasing an iMac because my Macbook Pro is not capable of being able to games and edit 1080i content, so for now, I will be purchasing an iMac and within the next 2 months, I will purchase my T3i. Thank you for your help and response in the previous thread.

6. jgo78 macrumors 6502

yep, as long as you don't any weird screen issues, then you'll be happy. Screens issues are hit and miss, 60% to get a good one, 40% not to.

7. h00ligan macrumors 68030

How much is video vs photo editing? Is there a lesser core i7 available? If so I'd skip the MHz (assuming you can still get an i7 slightly lower clock speed) and add another 8 gigs of ram. I do a lot of photo editing and wouldn't go with less than 12 gigs if possible. It's a cheap upgrade and way more noticeable than a few hundred MHz.