Are the new apple in-ear mic headphone a rip off?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by azure247, Sep 21, 2008.

1. azure247 macrumors 6502

Im talking about this http://www.apple.com/ipod/inearheadphones/. The asking price is 79$ for some headphones! I currently use a zune premium headphone that I got free and I was wondering if those apple ones would have better sound. Or are they just a total rip off and have same sound quality?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Contrary to your belief, there are different qualities of headphones. The Apple In-Ear Headphones that were just released have audio reproduction usually seen on headphones of $100 or more.

Not all sound sounds the same. You can't tell anyone that there's no need for 7.1 Dolby Surround when mono sounds just fine.

3. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

I believe they are.
    In Australia they're going to cost $110!

4. Dublo7 macrumors regular

They are an absolute rip off. Get yourself some Ultimate Ears.

5. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

Love my UE's, but they don't have a mic. When the new Apple earphones come out I'll probably spring for a pair.

6. Dublo7 macrumors regular

A few of the new UE models do have a mic, for use with the iPhone. I think the models with a mic end with "VI".

7. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

There has never been an apple accessory that wasnt a rip off. You dont even have to ask, the answer is always yes.

8. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Since they haven't been released yet - unless one of you works at Apple - how can you talk about these new headphones since you've never actually experienced them? Maybe they WILL BE a rip-off or maybe they WILL BE a bargain for $79. At the moment no one knows.

9. njguyfla macrumors member

Yes they are a Ripoff. Unless they are made of gold.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

and you know this because you've tried them? :rolleyes:

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

they know that because they like to pin a companies products as always being the same. Mayb apple actually tried on this one guys.

12. Dublo7 macrumors regular

The price is absolutely ridiculous for a dual armature earphone. Like I said, buy some earphones of a more distinguished and dedicated earphone brand.

13. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

It is nice that you have such a strong opinion on something that you haven't tested yet. I like and use UEs however a good set is going to set you back ~$180 + . If these new Apple headphones can take on the $79 - $150 UEs, I say it may be worth someone looking into them.

I highly suspect that the drivers, and overall acoustic engineering on these new earphones was done by a 3rd party, and not Apple themselves.

[​IMG]

14. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

We all know that anything with the Apple logo/name is going to cost a premium. These earbuds are probably no exception. I will definitely try them out, but most likely it will be cheaper and better to go 3rd party on this.

15. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

You guys are seriously living in a fantasy world if you think these headphones are going to be a bargain. Are you new to Apple products? They dont deserve the benefit of the doubt, they are a rip off until they prove otherwise (which they wont).

16. dmcman73 macrumors newbie

I think the built in volume controls and a button to control music is well worth the cost itself, saves you on having to take the touch out of your bag/pocket to control it. But that's just me.

17. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

If you want to go a bit higher up, you could go with Shures, which have a mic and play/pause button on the phone editions. Shure.com