Are the new displays more vibrant?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SteveJobs2.0, Jul 11, 2013.

1. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Looking at the 2013 MacBook Air vs 2012 one, it seems like the colored on the new display are more vibrant and pop more. Is it just me?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Seems that way to me, but I have to admit its a very subjective thing. It's a shiny new MBA, so it obviously looks better than my tired old MBA... ;)

3. SteveJobs2.0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well this was at the store. I wasn't impressed with the display but the new one seems much closer to the retina one color wise minus the resolution.

4. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

It might be your previous Air screen was manufactured by one company and the new one is manufactured by another since there's at least two floating around if not three: Samsung, LG, and maybe AUO?

5. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

This is the correct answer. They are the same.

6. SteveJobs2.0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure what it is but they are definitely on different levels in terms of how things look.

7. Lakailb87 macrumors regular

I just got my 13' 11" MBA. Comparing it to my 11' 13" MBA the 11" screen looks like it has a yellow tint. Both have LTH so guessing they are both Samsung? Any ideas? I thought Samsung was supposed to be the best but the yellow tint is kind of annoying.

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

This is what I'm thinking happened. Because Apple didn't change the screen with the 2013 model.

9. SteveJobs2.0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Weren't there some posts saying that the new screen is more reflective? If they took off some anti reflective coating which usually dulls things it might explain why to me the colours seem more vibrant and the screen looks more "glass like"

10. SteveJobs2.0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm according to the Anandtech graphs on the displays, it seems that the 2013 Samsung displays have higher contrast and darker blacks which could explain what I am seeing. :/

11. ok.Eric macrumors member

The screen looks really good, unless you look at the bottom 1/2" of the display, it has the gradient issue that many of the Air models have had. It's a pretty slight issue, kind of hard to notice unless you look close, but if you put a full screen (vertically) window with white background at the bottom, you'll see it.

I'm quite disappointed about it, I'm on my 2008 Aluminum Macbook now after using my 2013 Air for the past few days and its display doesn't have any of these sorts of issues. I realize the Air is super thin, but they've had 5 years to get it perfected and the issue still exists.. :(

I think I'm actually going to return it over this issue and probably wait for the refreshed Pros to come out.

Just to add, I went to a genius appointment over the issue the other day and found that the issue is just how they all are (all of the display Airs had the same gradient issue). So getting it replaced isn't a solution for me.

Here's a thread specific to the issue if you want to see pictures of what it looks like: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1195183&highlight=air+gradient+issue

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Is that gradient issue particular to a specific brand of display? Mine doesn't have it.

13. ok.Eric macrumors member

Well my Air has the LG panel, but that thread mentions that Samsung ones have the issue as well.

Are you sure you don't have it? Try gradually dragging a white window from mid screen past the bottom slowly and see if the white changes color at all as it reaches the bottom of your screen.

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yup, sure. I even hid the dock so I could have an unobstructed view of the bottom, and am using the Safary window expanded and the MacRumors white background. If it is there, i must be blind, but it looks nice and even. Let me see if I can post a pic.

15. ok.Eric macrumors member

Cool yeah a pic would be good. Make sure you have a white window touching the bottom.

I may have to request a replacement if some don't have the issue because the air is a really nice machine and I'd hate to return it over this. You have the Samsung display?

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

LOL! i took a pic and I saw a gradient all right. Everywhere BUT the bottom! Cracked me up. Let me see if I can post it here or a link to it. Funny thing is I can't see it with my eyes. i can only see it on the picture.

17. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Here it is.

Attached Files:

18. ok.Eric macrumors member

Hmm, I think I might see it, but without having a white window touching the bottom you cant be sure.

Can you move the dock to the right or left and then drag the white window past the bottom (so that the entire bottom is covered in white)?

Again it's a really slight gradient so it's hard to notice, especially for those that put the dock on the bottom.

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Here it is. It's funny how this is not how it looks like at all to my eyes. The camera is picking up those patterns buy my eyes aren't.

Attached Files:

20. ok.Eric macrumors member

Yeah LCD screens will do that when you have a camera.

But I can tell it has a ever so slight gradient effect at the very bottom of the screen, which is what I'm seeing on mine too. It's not the camera causing it at the bottom on your picture. If you zoom in at the bottom of your picture, you can see that it goes from white to dark white at the very bottom.

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ahhh, I see what you mean. I just assumed that was the backlight shadows. I see what you mean. I guess it just doesn't bother me. I have the dock down there most of the time, and the dock icon shadows fall in that area.

22. ok.Eric macrumors member

Gotcha, well thanks for checking and even taking pics.

I've always been a dock on the left kind of guy so it just seems more noticeable when I'm doing stuff like surfing the web.