Are the new i5 and i7 processors Dual or Quad Core?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thiagos, Apr 13, 2010.

1. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

I am a bit puzzled about my new MacBook Pro. I got the i5 but I have read online that these are actually dual core processors. What is the difference between the Core 2 Duo and the new i5s then?
    Also I have a 27" iMac with i7 Processor, those are quad-core, any difference in processing power besides the clock speed?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

4. vasuba macrumors member

The i5 offer roughly a 20-25% performance boost over the C2D.

5. lilo777 macrumors 603

While Apple uses only dual core versions of i7 in MBPs, Intel also has quad core i7 mobile processors. Many PC manufacturers offer those in their laptops. More info is available on Intel web site here.

6. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

It isn't about the clock speed; as you know, i5 and i7 processors are at a slower clock than the latest C2D chips, but they are far more efficient. Also, the number of cores available doesn't provide a noticeable improvement in speed for most processes. Multiple cores is like RAM; the more you have, the better suited the computer is for running multiple applications simultaneously.

7. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

Basically the i5s are cheaper. They're no faster (in fact slower by some benchmarks) than the 2.8 and 3.06 C2Ds.

8. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

I do run some quite heavy applications such as Adobe CS4, Aperture and Final Cut usually simultaneously so the quad core would have been extremely suitable to my needs.

If the i5s are cheaper, why the price increase? Apple needs to make up their mind, they lower the prices and then they raise it right back up. On top of that they use Pro for everything now, marketing at its best.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Here's Lenovo's

It's only $3500

10. hypermog macrumors regular

Holy crap this is so wrong. The difference between Arrandale and Penryn (Core 2 Duo) is 2 years of advancements in processor technology. The i5 will be more efficient and thus do more work per clock cycle vs a Core 2 Duo even clocked at the same speed in GHz. See:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/04...hmarks-show-major-improvements-for-notebooks/

11. lilo777 macrumors 603

Yeah. But this is a special monster machine with dual screen :) It's a real PRO machine (a mobile workstation). DELL and HP offer those too.

12. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

the i5's are cheaper but since the USD is weaker it probably costs more to produce them in china and to transport them...i know that all of the Australian prices fell by $100-$400 because of the strong Australian dollar. The UK prices rose by a lot because of the weak British pound.

exactly right, there is no way that the Penryn c2d chips are superior to the Arrandale chips. Arrandale is superior in every way :)

13. ippikiokami macrumors regular

Did you even bother to look at what you were linking other than the price?