Are the new iMacs Really Quieter?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Thunderbird, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

...than the previous model? Apple promos for the new iMac claim they are.

Just curious as I'm considereding either a refurb or getting one of the new models.

Does anyone have direct personal experience with both versions?

Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I have early 2009 model and it's very quiet. New models might be little noisier as they have desktop CPUs which needs better cooling

3. xplnusa macrumors regular

I have no experience with the earlier iMacs. I did purchase a 27" iMac (my first mac) and the only noise I notice is the CD/DVD drive at startup, other than that she's quite as can be.

4. Thunderbird thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

I guess I meant comparing the previous and new incarnations of the Core 2 Duo. Though I'd also be interested in what anyone has to say about the new Core i5s and i7s.

5. camgrant84 macrumors member

I have an I7. My first Mac.

It's pretty much silent. CD drive can be heard on startup and when in use. That's about it

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

i have 3 AL and 1 white iMac

not sure how anything could be quieter, I cant hear mine at all.

I never hear the CD/DVD at startup, cause I never shut mine down?

What are you using now? How loud is it? Are you in someplace that you cant have a loud computer? turn up your itunes volume?

7. Alan64 macrumors member

True for my i5, except I've only started it up once and I'm not sure if there was a DVD drive noise or not. There certainly is when a disc is inserted. Otherwise the machine's very quite. I still have my 2002 Dell PC next to the Mac since I'm transfering files over, and that thing is very loud (both the fan and a noisy hard drive). I can't wait to finish with it so I can pull the newer, secondary hard drive and recycle the rest of it!

8. Thunderbird thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

How do all your AL iMacs compare? Are they all pretty much the same noise-wise? Is your white iMac any different?

The PC box I have now is a custom built for silence (rated 12 dBA/1meter). However it's getting old, and I want to switch, but need something that's not going to be too much noisier.

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

if theres a difference between them, i cant tell

Im sitting 18" in front of the 24" right now, I hear nothing.

Well I hear the wife yelling at me from across the house...

10. s3e3 macrumors member

I went from a G5 to a 27" Imac and noticed a huge difference. It's much better!

11. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Yes. My 27" iMac is much quieter than my previous iMac. Only the sound of the CD running can be heard.

12. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I have a G5 white iMac and a 24" alu iMac. the G5 is significantly louder - with a general 'hum' that rises and falls dependent on what you are doing - than the 24", which I can barely hear except for when I use a CD/DVD.
    Vanilla

13. Thunderbird thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

What was your previous iMac? And could you possibly say a little bit more about what you mean by much louder?

Thanks.