Are the new MageSafe power adapter better than the old?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wave, Feb 28, 2010.

1. wave macrumors newbie

The power adapter that came with the MBP I bought March 2008 frayed pretty early.

Now, over the night, it has stopped working; it won't charge the battery or power the machine. Upon close inspection I see that there is a tiny, brown speck on it, where it has frayed. It is too small to say whether it's worn through the plastic or if it's the heat problem some people have reported.

I'm gonna buy a new one, but I wonder: do the new ones fray, too? Are they safer? I don't want it to burn my house down.

2. polotska macrumors 6502

This has been a perennial problem with Apple portable power supplies since the started using the very thin, white cable (introduced with the titanium PowerBooks if I remember correctly?). Until they switch to a heftier gauge of wire, I don't anticipate it being resolved completely.

3. Aboo macrumors 6502a

You shouldn't have to buy a new one. The fraying power adapter is a perennial problem with Apple's magsafe power adapters. Take it into an Apple store, and a genius should give you a new one.

4. MagicMacMan macrumors newbie

Mine had a similar issue which isn't because of the thin cords. Personally, I'm glad they stick with the thin cords. They need to, however, do what they did to the iPod headphones with the mic. Where it is plastic first, then rubber around the ends. My magnetic side pulls away and the wires are exposed then they fray. I did however get mine replaced by an Apple genius.

5. wave thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it throught the Apple online store, and I'd have to wait a while before I get a new one. :rolleyes:

6. Aboo macrumors 6502a

It wouldn't matter where you bought it. You can either call Apple Care and they will overnight a replacement to you (they will probably ask you to put down a credit card for security, in order to make sure you return the defective unit) or you can take it into the Apple store for an on the spot replacement.

7. wave thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that.