Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joey911900

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
I'm Adria's if I got the baseline RMBP I would easily run out of space. Is it worth it to get te high end model or replace the flash memory on my own if I'm able to?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm Adria's if I got the baseline RMBP I would easily run out of space. Is it worth it to get te high end model or replace the flash memory on my own if I'm able to?
No, the flash memory is not user upgradable, even though it's not soldered in, like the RAM is.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
You will be able to replace it yourself, but Apple doesn't consider it a user-serviceable part. Just like with the current Macbook Air.

OWC has said that they will make replacement modules for the 15" retina Macbook Pro:

While our current Aura Pro Express SSDs are NOT compatible with these new machines, we ARE full steam ahead on bringing new models to market that will feature these new connectors.

http://blog.macsales.com/14040-new-2012-macs-means-new-owc-ssd-designs

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
No, the flash memory is not user upgradable, even though it's not soldered in, like the RAM is.

I don't know if Apple's considering it "user-replaceable" as it relates to the warranty, but it should be replaceable once other companies make replacements available. The problem is that no one currently makes an compatible replacement. I'd suspect you're correct from an official standpoint, but it should be possible to upgrade later if the parts become available.

jW

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston

Wrong. Take off the bottom and there's one philips head screw holding it in place. I'd call that user upgradeable. As for people who say Apple will void warranties of people who touch it, this is simply untrue. They said the same thing about the old pre-unibody MacBook Pro hard drives and they never voided mine or millions of others who did the same and upgraded their hard drives.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Wrong. Take off the bottom and there's one philips head screw holding it in place. I'd call that user upgradeable. As for people who say Apple will void warranties of people who touch it, this is simply untrue. They said the same thing about the old pre-unibody MacBook Pro hard drives and they never voided mine or millions of others who did the same and upgraded their hard drives.
Not user-upgradable in the sense that it would void the warranty to do so, even if Apple may not catch that fact. It's a disservice to leave people with the expectation that it won't void the warranty, only to show up for service and have it denied. It's better to err on the side of caution. Then, if someone wants to proceed, they know what the risks are. It does void the warranty, whether Apple enforces that in every case or not.

Also, at least for now, there is nothing available to upgrade it to.

BlackbookGuy

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Oh dear, not easy to replace?

I just called Apple in Canada and was informed it is not upgradable by user. The RAM is soldered on and the storage is not supposed to be upgraded but no word on if it is easy to take out for when 3rd party parts become available.

I was going to buy the new 256gb MBP and upgrade it, but with this info, I won't be. At least not until prices and availability on 500gb replacement parts are available.

256gb is just not enough and would be very annoying to deal with over the years.

Too bad, maybe next year.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Well it's not really that easy, it doesn't void your warranty per se, but once they see you've upgrade at home they generally won't touch the hardware until it has the stock parts back in it.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Well it's not really that easy, it doesn't void your warranty per se, but once they see you've upgrade at home they generally won't touch the hardware until it has the stock parts back in it.

The thing is, though, it really is that easy. I have a MacBook Air and pulling the SSD blade takes about five minutes from fully assembled. Same will happen with this. OWC will release upgraded SSDs and will ship with a kit to transfer your data over/use your old SSD externally.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
The thing is, though, it really is that easy. I have a MacBook Air and pulling the SSD blade takes about five minutes from fully assembled. Same will happen with this. OWC will release upgraded SSDs and will ship with a kit to transfer your data over/use your old SSD externally.

I was referring to the "Replacing your RAM/SSD will void your warranty" statement more than the physical ease of replace said parts/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.