Are the nylon bands waterproof?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by thinkpink1434, Oct 17, 2016.

1. thinkpink1434 macrumors newbie

thinkpink1434

Hi everyone,

The sport band doesn't fit right, it's either too big or too small on me. I have the Black stainless steel AW2 and wondered if the nylon bands are waterproof. These are more comfortable and easier to put on.

It looks as if they are on the apple website but wondered if anyone knows for sure?

2. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

I would say they are. I haven't swam with mine, but I definitely have sweated a ton and been rained on a bunch and it still looks like new!

3. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The nylon bands are not water proof. They do absorb water, but will dry.

http://www.apple.com/shop/question/...-bands-water-resistantproof/Q2A2XHDTD94CPXPAY

http://www.apple.com/shop/questions/product/MNKG2AM/A/42mm-light-pink-midnight-blue-woven-nylon

5. andreyirra macrumors regular

Have you tried the other band extension that came with your watch? The sport bands come in 2 sizes in the same box and people just assume they are a medium and a large one. They usually don't see that the holes in one band are located in the spaces of the other band so between the two you can cover the entire length.

6. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

I never noticed that! Good catch!

7. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

...thats exactly what happened with my bands!

I bought the Midnight Blue band however, on the shorter band, the 4th hole from the edge of the watch was too tight and the 5th hole was too big.

I then switched it for the longer band in the box and that fits perfectly (the pin sits in the hole closest to the watch).

8. thinkpink1434 thread starter macrumors newbie

thinkpink1434

I haven't tried it. Thank you though I definitely will! Maybe that'll work. Another question though, if I were to purchase another band lets say in a different color, would the fit be the same as the original or the extra one in the box?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 18, 2016 ---
    Thank you for finding these, that helps a lot! So they are not "waterproof" but they can withstand water, you just need to let them dry. I asked because I like the fact that the extra band doesn't need to go underneath like the sport bands so I think I might get one now.

Thank you for your help!!

9. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

I think it's pretty clear that by water proof the thread starter and the rest of us responding were discussing water proof as not being negatively affected by water. Not literally impervious to water.

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Then you clearly you didn't read the OP's question and the fact @thinkpink1434 stated this above your response. And you directly replied by stating "Yes they are", waterproof, when in fact they are not.

11. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

He wanted to know if he could wear the watch in water not if it absorbed water. I answered his question while you argued semantics.

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

And you answered the question wrong.

Direct quote from @thinkpink1434

"I have the Black stainless steel AW2 and wondered if the nylon bands are waterproof."

And you replied by stating "Yes they are." You clearly misinformed the OP and we're wrong in your answer. I corrected you. And yet, here you are still trying to argue your point, when in fact, you were wrong.

And how am I arguing semantics? I provided links and sources That the bands are not waterproof. Yet, you Posted some anecdotal opinion that they were waterproof. And your choosing to refute that? You don't even have an argument, let alone a claim.

13. meanwoman macrumors newbie

14. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

Apple should be more clear, especially in the product description, but here is what they say in document discussing water resistance.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000

15. andreyirra macrumors regular

When you purchase a new sport band it comes with 3 pieces, the small one with the pin and 2 others with holes that work the same as the one that came with your watch.

16. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

The nylon bands will likely survive, but they will probably smell of chlorine or seawater, or whatever it is you're submerging them into. I wouldn't recommend it.

17. dwfaust, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016

dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I've had good success running them through the dishwasher- just drop them in a section of the silverware tray, and Bob's your uncle.

18. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Could just wash it like you wash yourself.

You bathe, don't you?

19. tromboneaholic, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016

tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

Apple recommends you don't clean the Watch with soap. I'd remove the bands if using anything besides water.

From Apple:

"Water resistance is not a permanent condition and may diminish over time. Apple Watch cannot be rechecked or resealed for water resistance. The following may affect the water resistance of Apple Watch in particular and should be avoided:

• Dropping Apple Watch or subjecting it to other impacts.

• Exposing Apple Watch to soap or soapy water, for example while showering or bathing.

• Exposing Apple Watch to perfume, solvents, detergent, acids or acidic foods, insect repellent, lotions, sunscreen, oil, or hair dye.

• Exposing Apple Watch to high velocity water, for example while water skiing.

• Wearing Apple Watch in the sauna or steam room."

According to Apple, avoid Watch contact with:

20. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

So take the bands off and wash them. Right? Easy, right? Problem solved.

21. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

If mine gets dirty, I'll wash it the same way I wash my chest strap. Drop it in a sock and put it in rest of sports attire laundry with appropriate detergent.