Are the people that were waiting for MBP update happy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by glocke12, Feb 26, 2008.

?

Does the update satisfy those who were waiting?

1. Yes, the update has everything I was hoping for, Im buying one now.

82 vote(s)
    53.2%
  2. No, I think this is a lame update and will wait for the next one.

28 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. I think the previous model was a great machine, so could care less.

44 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I know many on here were waiting for the next MBP update, and many had some pretty high expectations (design change, etc).

Are all of you happy with the update, or do you wish it would have been more?

2. ajx22 macrumors regular

Definitely :D

...anyone who was expecting a MAJOR redesign now - when Nehalhem was known to be arriving later this year were fools. Also the complainers have no understanding of the benefits that gaining the Penryn procs and the LED 17" screen pose. Ignorance is bliss - or at least fuel for more bitching.

Apple did just what they should have done - added to an already great machine. I'll enjoy my new 17" 2.6 until the Nehalem's come out - and then sell it and upgrade.

~ Aloha ~

3. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

i'm very happy because the now refurbs are awesomer deals! :)

edit: got the older 2.2ghz 15" + .mac account + brenthaven eclipse sleeve + tax all for $1,689.74 :) :) :)

can't wait to get it, this will be my first :apple: laptop

4. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Although I wasn't waiting for new MBPs (or new MBs for that matter; I bought one last week), I don't know that there's much to be happy about. It seems like a fairly minor update (hard drive space aside); at least in relation to all the waiting (and whining) that's been going on.

5. HenMaster6000 macrumors regular

people were waiting and whining because they wanted the security of knowing that they're buying the latest and greatest--getting the most for their dime.

i'm completely satisfied with this update--faster processors and multitouch are enough to convince me that apple won't release a better machine within six months. given that i need the machine now, the decision is a no-brainer.

6. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

I totally understand that. I bought a new MB a few days ago. I'm a bit peeved that new ones were released today (particularly since an MB update wasn't particularly likely at this time), but not enough to lose any sleep over it; I'm still quite happy with my purchase.

Honestly, I just don't think the fleeting "security" of knowing that you've got the latest and greatest is really worth all of the hand-wringing that actually goes on, considering that most updates are modest (I doubt anyone's REALLY going to notice the ~.2 GHz speed difference of today's updates). The multitouch is a bit of a special case, but then that update wasn't assured, and its actual value is dubious, I think.

7. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I happy with the new updates. It was nice to see the increase of VRAM and HDD which makes the baseline a good buy for me.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Not voting in the poll because I've not really been paying massive amounts of attention. However, my poor old Rev. A PB12" has been slowly dying on me over the past couple of months after just over five years of loyal daily service (oo-er!!). The backlight doesn't always fire up when I open the screen and the hard disk is making a few nasty clicking sounds ever so often (yeah, I'm SuperDupering every other day right now).

So I think it's time I jumped in and replaced it, and the low-end MBP is the replacement I'm going to go for. The L2 cache thing doesn't bother me, just as the slower FSB on the PB didn't when it came out. I don't see why so many are ready to jump off high buildings over it. If you've been waiting the update is still better than the machines they were selling yesterday.

So if you need a new machine go for it.

9. jhande macrumors 6502

Why is it that the 'I told you so's' so often forget the times where things *really* have changed?

The update is nice, but not compelling. I really think that a form-factor change is due. Something that is already nice, can be made better. The MacBook/iBook change bore that out. Yeah, that was a platform change also, but the look and feel was very different as well.

So... nice update, but will wait some more. But not whining, oh no :D

10. dothevampire macrumors newbie

dothevampire

I am more then happy, I dumped my girl, deleted everyone from my phone book, got a pad lock on my door. When my new MBP arrives I will HAVE NOTHING TO DISTRACT ME!

11. novocaine macrumors member

There should be a fourth option: it doesn't have everything i was hoping for, but good enough, and I'm buying one.

12. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

if you have a padlock on your door how are you going to have your new MBP delivered?

13. dothevampire macrumors newbie

dothevampire

really good observation, I may have to rethink my original plans!

14. jamestemroot macrumors member

15. theISHkid macrumors regular

Can someone please explain to me why everyone was expecting a major design change. I mean Apple didn't change the design when they made a huge change from powerpc to Intel. IF they were going to change that would have been the time to do it. You might see a design change the next time around but I doubt it. I think a lot of people might have expected to see a change similar to the Air but I just see that design as the way to differentiate the air from the macbook and the pro, not as the future of the pro.

It is obvious that eventually you will see a design change... it just happens every now and then. But if they didn't update it for intel I don't see them making major updates for a few upgrades.

16. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

17. mactastic1971 macrumors regular

mactastic1971

18. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Of course they could have added more features and made it a bit better, there is always room for improvement, but overall Im glad theyve updated it and I've ordered one today.

19. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

What Revision is today's updated MBP? - Thank You.

20. vixapphire macrumors 6502

was hoping for a 2.8 GHz build-to-order option. as it is, 17" hi-res 2.6's of the yesterday variety are plentiful (and discounted) in stock all over the place, in which case, why pay more for the penryn -- it's even got the same amount of cache?

21. GCY macrumors regular

I'm kinda disappointed. If its thinner, I would have pull the trigger right away but now I'm still pondering weather to get it or wait for the next update

22. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I'll go buy it soon, I was just waiting for some form of update to their MBP lines before pulling the trigger. Now that they have updated, even though its not sweeping changes, its enough for me to go purchase it. :)

Although was hoping they may add Blu-Ray, but figured it would be to soon... probably when they release the Montevino chipset update.

23. gelatin macrumors 6502

Im sorry but i have to point this out. Its not could care less its supposed to be COULDNT CARE LESS

24. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

Revision 4 - Feb 2008
    Santa Rosa with PENRYN processors =)

25. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

=ANAL