Are the rMBP upgradable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macaroooon, May 25, 2015.

1. Macaroooon macrumors 6502

Is the flash storage upgradable? I don't think 128GB is enough for me but I can't afford the next one up. Can you increase the storage?

Thanks

2. leman macrumors 604

Theoretically, yes, but nobody sells them. Your best bet is either to get repair parts from Apple or take it out of another rMBP.

3. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, I'm not sure what best to do!

4. leman macrumors 604

I'd say: wait until you have enough money to get a next tier one. Or get a refurb. Or try to find a side one. An upgrade is possible, but very cumbersome and is likely to be more expensive than the difference you'd pay for a new machine.

5. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple are replacing my MBP from 2012, so I can either go with current MBP £899 or pay £100 (all I can afford) to get the lower end rMBP :)

6. HarryT macrumors 6502

HarryT

Id say borrow the money to get the higher tier...because this will last you 2-3 years at least and if you get the 128gb then a month later you have a spare few hundred...you'd regret it for the next 2-3 years.

7. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

I see what you mean, yikes, it's a lot of money to spend especially as I'll have to buy a new optical drive too :(

8. magbarn macrumors 68000

You don't need Apple's overpriced DVD drive. I use a Samsung external DVD drive that I picked up for $20 shipped on a sale....

9. newellj macrumors 601

There is not practical, cost-effective upgrade for the current SSDs. If you need additional storage, you could look into an external USB 3.0 HDD, SDD or thumb drive. Be aware that full-time storage solutions that use the card slot may keep the computer from going to sleep completely, resulting in battery issues if the machine isn't kept on a charger.