Are the rumors about 7200rpm drives true?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by discofuel, May 11, 2011.

1. discofuel macrumors 6502

I have a mid-2010 MBP and just ordered a WD 500GB 7200rpm hard drive to replace my 250GB 5400rpm factory drive.

However, I've just read a lot of complaints about 7200rpm drives being much hotter, noisier and reducing battery life and wondering whether I should have got a 5400rpm drive instead. For the same price I could have got a 750GB one.

I mainly use my laptop for DJing with Traktor and occasional music production in Pro Tools/Logic when I'm away from my iMac.

Can someone please clarify if this is the case and whether the performance increase is worth it.

Thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They are not true about modern 7,200 rpm 2.5" drives.

3. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

They are ever so slightly noisier (not noticeable unless it is very quiet), don't use much more battery if any at all, and aren't any hotter than the stock drive

5. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok great. And is there a noticeable performance increase?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It depends on the drive you had before. I know when I switched from my stock mid 07 drive to a Seagate 7200.4 it was really noticeable.

7. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

Got a Hitachi HTS545025B9SA02 in there currently

8. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

i went from the stock 5400 drive in my 09 MBP to the Seagate 7200.4...

i didn't notice any extra noise, heat or vibration. my performance gains were somewhat noticeable, nothing to get too overly excited about though

9. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like I made the right choice then. Got 8GB RAM on order too so combined should be a nice performance increase :)

10. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Depending on model of 7200RPM drive, it might even use less.

I replaced my Toshiba 750GB 5400RPM HDD with a Seagate Momentus (not XT) 500GB 7200RPM drive. Noise increase was nominal; no worries. No heat increase to mention, either. :)

As for performance:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCIViHUYbxI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9f8fKn40kk

http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_momentus_7200_4.pdf
    (Momentus specs)

http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Pa...ardDrives/MK7559GSXP/MK7559GSXPSpecifications
    (Toshiba specs)

______ | Toshiba | Seagate
    ---------------------------------

IDLE: | .55w | .67w
    SEEK: | 1.8w | 1.55w

Winner when used: Seagate
    Winner when idle: Toshiba

The power usage differences between these two models is nominal.

It's worth the time and money involved to upgrade. :)

11. Stiksi macrumors regular

Stiksi

I put a Seagate 7200 500GB into my Macbook 2007 a while back.

- Noise and vibration increased noticeably – I didn't want to keep it on hard surfaces because it would resonate with a deep bass tone.

- Battery life was noticeably decreased, from 3,5h to 2,5h.

- Performance was very slightly increased, but I would never have noticed had I not known. I even did benchmarks and they were definitely unimpressive.

- No heat difference. It was hot before and hot after, but never the HD.

Bottom line: not worth it, get an SSD if you want performance.

12. Captain Dynamo macrumors member

I've had this drive for awhile. It markedly sped up my 2006 Macbook.

I upgraded to a 2011 13" MBP and installed the WD 500 GB there. I agree with the person who said: "They are ever so slightly noisier (not noticeable unless it is very quiet), don't use much more battery if any at all, and aren't any hotter than the stock drive." I don't know that it makes a huge speed difference in the MBP. Most of my use is in Chrome, and once it's open the drive doesn't matter a lot.

13. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I've got a Seagate Momentus XT and haven't noticed any heat/noise/vibration issues.

So I guess the rumor is probably not true...

14. iThinkergoiMac, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I have the same MacBook. Noise and vibration were not noticeably increased when I replaced with a WD 320 GB Caviar Black. In fact, my fan is significantly louder.

Battery life was not noticeably affected, I still get around 4 hours out of it.

Performance was noticeably increased, as I use a lot of applications that seek to the drive often.

Ditto.

Bottom line: the value of getting this upgrade is largely dependent on your usage habits. If you use a lot of applications that access your drive a lot, you'll see a noticeable (and worthy) increase in performance. I've bought several 7200 rpm 2.5" drives (both IDE and SATA) and have never noticed a significant increase in vibration. In fact, I can really only tell mine is spinning if I put my hand directly over it and concentrate on it. That much extra vibration could be due to a poor install or a faulty drive. The price of these drives are dirt cheap and very much worth it, IMO. I wouldn't necessarily upgrade just for the speed, but if you want/need a bigger drive, I wouldn't get anything less than 7200 rpm.

15. Tibits macrumors regular

No

16. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

Just replaced my HD and my MBP is as silent as ever, doesn't seem any hotter and performance has definitely increased (although this could be because my old drive was nearly full)

Overall I'm definitely happy! Thanks for the advice!