are the 'S' models of the iphone better than the standard model

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chaelinxo, May 8, 2014.

1. Chaelinxo macrumors member

2. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

Yeah, they are. Better hardware, just the same design as the previous model.

3. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Not sure what is meant by this question. The S models are updated models of the last version. So better? Yeah sure, why not.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Define "better."

I say that because while I agree with Decimotox's statement, we have to ask how much.

Most of the upgrades in the 'S' model are "better" than the previous. But it's not like there's much difference.

The 5s has Touch ID. The 5 does not. The 5s and the 5c have marginal bumps in processor speed. That makes them faster. Does that translate into those models opening a web page faster than my model, the iPhone 5?

Does 64-bit matter right now over the 5's 32 bit architecture? How many apps are using the 64-bit architecture?

So, my point is don't assume that "better" means you're getting something that's so superior to the non-'S' model that it blows that previous model out of the water. It's an incremental "better", nothing more.

5. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

It all depends on what your reference is.

The iPhone 5 is a much better phone than the 4S, but again the 5S is a better phone than the 5.

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

It's a matter of opinion. Frankly I think TouchID alone makes it significantly better.

7. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

are the 'S' models of the iphone better than the standard model

Agreed. TouchID was a great upgrade. No doubt it was worth it.

8. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

The question was, are the S models better than the non-S models.
    The answer is yes.

9. JobsGang macrumors regular

JobsGang

Every new model is better than the previous model,'s' or no 's'.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I agree. My point was that, in general, if you tell someone that something is better than something else, most people assume that it's MUCH better.

That may be the case with full version jumps, like say the 4 to the 5 to the 6. But it's not the case when comparing the 'S' models to the regular numbered models.

I haven't even mentioned preference. Touch ID is cool to you and significantly better. I like it, but I don't think it was so much better than not having it.

SIRI came with the iPhone 4s. That makes the 4s "better" than the iPhone 4. But there are lots of people out there who barely use SIRI, so how much "better" is the iPhone 4s over the 4?

As you said, a matter of opinion.

11. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

I think we can assume that nobody's questioning if an iPhone 5 is better iPhone 3GS/4S...

12. 960design macrumors 68000

We all know what happens when we assume.

13. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

Better yes, although most would prefer not to get themselves onto the S cycle, as the 5S to 6 is likely to be a bigger jump than the 5 to the 5S was.

Better also depends on the features that matter to you. The iPhone 4s introduced an 8MP camera, Siri and a dual core processor, but battery life was worse than on the 4. I didn't want it purely on that basis.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What?

That's an incredibly strange viewpoint to hold.

15. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Hmmmm? The iPhone 7 will be better that the 6S, as the 6S will be better than the 6. So, yes, it is better.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Really?

I don't think it is. Especially not on these forums. How many threads were generated here on MR when the 5s and 5c were released with people stating that the 5 was a piece of crap compared to the new phones?

How many threads waxing long about how superior the 5s and 5c were to the 5? Even in THIS thread there's already one person who believes that Touch ID makes the 5s "significantly" better than the 5.

And then really how did it turn out? The 5s is marginally better is all.

No, I don't believe I'm wrong here.

17. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Well in this case, if we didn't we'd be assuming some pretty bad things about the OP - which you weren't, right? ;)

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

There isn't as much of a leap from a 4 to a 4S, as there is from a 4S to a 5. Each year the new iPhone is better than the one it replaced, so the question is a bit strange. Of course it is better.

19. cynics macrumors G3

Of course they are better, they are a year newer and updated as such.

Everything else is subjective.

20. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I dont get the point of this question. Are "S" models better than their parent non-S model? Yeah, by the virtue that the S models are born a year later. Now, if the comparison was with the next year's non-S model; then no - again by virtue of being one year behind...

21. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Just like the Toyota Corolla, "S" models are always nicer and have more features.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's basically it. An S version would be better than the same version without an S (the previous version), and then the next version without an S would be better than that previous version with an S.
    Exactly.

23. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

No the S models are worse that's why they sell so many. People buy the downgrade as fast as can in fear apple will make it even worse next time.

24. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I know I may get knocked for this, but people, the current S model is the better model until the 6 comes out. It is also better than the C model, which is the only model you should be comparing it too, as they came out on the market at the same time.

Everyone is saying the S model is better, which technically everyone is correct in saying, only because it is the last model out. But should not be comparing it to any other model except the C.

25. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Single core to dual-core where its been ever since.

4S was the first iPhone with SMP. Dual core. Multi-threading. Not only was it a new generation CortexA8 to A9, but dual CortexA9. That is massive from UI response standpoint. Even if one thread busy, the other core can work. Its like Pentium4 to Core2.

Camera went from 5->8mp where its been ever since.
    -(the 5 got very little camera bump, the 5S got a great low light boost though)
    3G speed doubled hspa to hspa+
    720p to 1080p video where its been ever since
    Gained dual diversity antenna operation where its been ever since

Seeing a pattern?

The 4->4S has been the single largest jump in iPhone feature/performance.

The 5?...
    LTE more bandwidth than practically useable on a mobile device,
    Wooo! An extra row of icons! Woo!