Are the screen & sound problems fixable via update?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by --Wolf--, Sep 15, 2007.

1. --Wolf-- macrumors regular

From what I've read:

Screen quality (bad colour, dead pixels, etc)
    Sound quality (hissing, etc)

Are they hardware issues, or software issues? If they are software issues, I will buy a iPod Touch tomorrow, but if they are hardware (and cannot be fixed by a update in the near future) I will hold off until they are sorted.

And on the topic, if these are software issues (fixable), are there any known hardware issues (not fixable via update)?

2. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

You know, after getting one today & playing around with it the last few hours, I suspect it may repeat MAY be a software issue. My web & photos look a lot better than the video, suggesting it may be a video codec or something...

3. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

Honestly, no one knows. We've heard reports of a small, limited batch being defective (hardware), and reports of people people turned away for exchanges (suggesting a software update is imminent).

If you're looking to receive a perfect unit, your best bet would be to wait for more information. With a problem this big, showing up in reviews of the product, Apple will have to address it somehow.

4. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

It's definitely not a codec issue and spans the whole device. I've used the photo application and Safari to view a gradient and they look the same. I even see the negative blacks in the bar at the bottom of the music app.