Are the screens really that bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JB x, Dec 13, 2008.

1. JB x macrumors newbie

So I just looked at my brother's previous gen macbook and I thought the display was pretty good. Not as good as the pro but a lot brighter. I am hearing that the alum macbook's screen is so bad that it is almost unwatchable to watch movies. Is this true?

2. iOrlando macrumors 68000

its not true......screen is good..and alot better than previous white macbooks....

buy it.its good.

3. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

If you liked the old MacBook's screen then you should like the new MacBook's screen. It's either the same or slightly clearer. Go for it if you want it.

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

It isn't a lot better than the previous gen's screen. This has been beaten to death and most agree it is basically a wash (tie). The new one is brighter, but I don't think the blacks show up as well as the previous gen.. Yes I have looked at them side by side with numerous ones. Hopefully one day Apple will put in good screens in the Macbook. Doubt it though.

I will most likely will buy the new 2.4 Macbook in January, but it won't be because the screen is awesome because it isn't.

5. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

the screen are not bad as long as you looking at is straight on. If you shift your head left or right the viewing angles become worse.

6. JB x thread starter macrumors newbie

How but the macbook pro? I heard the screens are a lot better. I watch a lot of movies so this will be pretty important.

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I'm still serious considering getting the 2.4 Pro, but the portability of it isn't nearly as good as the reg Macbook which is a major thing for me . Of course the Pro's screen is much better, but it costs $400+ more also (yes you get more than a better screen for that $400, but if you don't use those additional things then it is worthless to you anyways).

The best way to find out the answers to your questions about the screen isn't to ask this forum. Everyone is biased including me. Just go to an Apple Store or anywhere they sell them side by side. Then make up your own mind.

8. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

I just got my MacBook today and I think the screen is just fine. I am coming from having previously owned a iBook, MacBook, MacBook Pro, and a current generation iMac.

The colors seem adequate enough and the screen's viewing angles—while nothing to write home about—seem on par with just about every other LCD I've seen in a laptop prior.

It's much brighter than previous MacBook screens thanks to the backlight and really (especially as a second computer) it seems hard to find any complaints.

9. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Macbook on left, Pro on right:

[​IMG]

Air on left, Aluminum Macbook in center, Whitebook on right:

[​IMG]

If you liked how the screen on the whitebooks looked, you'll probably like how the screen looks on the new aluminum Macbook; that is, until you get your eyes checked, get some glasses, and are able to see properly. I'm serious.

10. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

my screen is awesome its soo bright that i have the brightness half way..

11. JB x thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked at apple.com and I found a refurb macbook pro for $1349. So now my question is new macbook or refurb mbp. You guys seem have good answers so I might as well as you guys on this thread rather that creating a new one. I could get the alum. mbp if I really need to though but its a little too much. If its the old macbook pro, should I get matte or glossy for viewing movies.

BTW you guys respond really quick lol. Refreshed it once and had two replies already.

12. JB x thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, the macbook looks horrible on that second picture. Didn't look like that on my brother's.

13. Roadking macrumors 6502

the screen is not that great for watching movies but not so bad for other applications.

I wish it was better but I can live with it.

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

The screen works for me, I don't mind it and I like it more than my old one. You also can't go off of a picture, you just have to see one in person.

15. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

The real problem is the viewing angles. If you watch your movies with the computer straight in front of you, it will perfectly fine, if watching a movie on a 13 inch screen is your definition of fine.

16. mac jones macrumors 68040

My Macbook unibody screen is very pleasant.

I had a real problem with it at first cuz it's not very good for movies but I don't watch movies on it now so it's great

That picture afew posts above says it all. I have also an AIR (but not the old Macbook) and that's about the gist of it with movie viewing.

Notice how the blacks of the head look lightish on the two Macbooks on the right. The Air is much better
    at rendering blacks , (and so is the Macbook pro). the problem manifests as sort of a 'negative' effect (like a photo negative)
    -very disconcerting.

Like evryone has been saying-cheap panels. But I think the old Macbook was worse :D

If you watch a lot of movies better to go to a store with a disk and check ti out.

I really like the macbook despite this issue.

17. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

It's a love hate type thing. Go into the Apple Store and check them out side by side.

18. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I can watch movies on it just fine.. I'm not a fanboi, and I know the quality of the screens is not the best out there, but i just went through the first 2 seasons of 24 in a couple of days, and had no problem watching them on my MB...
    but the best thing to do is go see for yourself in a store... pictures don't really give you the best idea..

19. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

It's not that bad, but it's clearly inferior to Macbook Pro or MacBook Air screens. I had a rev A. Air that I replaced with the MacBook and there is a difference which is annoying only when I think about it. BUT, I rarely think about it and for most daily tasks it's just fine.

I would think twice if you were a graphics pro and depended on it for your living (but then you'd be looking at the Pro if you were, right?). For the rest of us it's a pretty damn nice display.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No, you'd be looking for an external monitor that supported 8-bit color and was an IPS panel. ;)

21. mac jones macrumors 68040

22. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I haven't had a MB before my new MBA, but I think the screen looks fine, I have no complaints other than having to tilt the screen every now and then to get the right picture.

23. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

24. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Narrow viewing angle, inability to display blacks and other dark colors. Still better than whitebooks, dark display ability can be mitigated somewhat by downloading a color profile you can find in these forums. Otherwise, the LED display is bright, crisp and great.

Check out the displays yourself and see if they're acceptable to you. Go to the apple page and pull up the last steve jobs keynote. If you can tell the difference between steve's shirt and the black background, you'll be all right.

If the people at the applestore tell you the display is just the same as the pro's, only smaller, tell them they're full of $%*@. Don't believe them; Apple's always put cheaper screens in their entry level portables; check out the difference between any ibook and any powerbook. The uni MB's come the closest, but still not quite there.

If your value is on portability and price, get the MB, and download a color profile from this forum. Good luck!

25. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The ones at my applestore are secured to the tables. Not so in Pittsburgh?