Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I was just wondering, because I keep getting the "our servers are busy due to overwhelming interest" message. Also when I click to enter a thread, I often get "server unavailable".

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Rower_CPU said:
Must've just been a peak of high traffic or some periodic maintenance on the back-end.

I was gonna say, I haven't gotten anything like that since WWDC 2005 (I had the special option for MWSF this year ;)).

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
amacgenius said:
I was gonna say, I haven't gotten anything like that since WWDC 2005 (I had the special option for MWSF this year ;)).

I was stuck during MWSF 06. No access at all, server trashed.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Just noticed the same thing, and it happened around the same time. Is there scheduled maintenance going on in the middle of the (US) night this week?

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Just got the "Server busy due to overwhelming interest" message - 8am UK time, I guess middle of the night US time. When I finally got back in, there was a total of 700ish people online. :eek:

Over the weekend, I actually got the full "Servers are being updated, please check back soon" message, so I guess you are right, there is some testing maintenance going one.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yes, the vBulletin software was updated over the weekend, but the recent "overwhelming interest" messages are a bit odd, considering the relatively low number of users online at this time of day.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I'm assuming the "overwhelming interest" message is the standard one when the DB server is busy - weekly backups/maintenance makes sense for Sunday around midnight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.