Are the speaker plates used for ventilation?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jochen K, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Jochen K macrumors member

Hi everyone,

last year I had a disastrous experience with my MacBook Pro: I spilled coffee over the keyboard; my MBP was completely defective, so I had to replace it. I am now trying not to let anything fluid near my computer, but that is sometimes impossible. So I bought a keyboard cover and tightly hold it in place with adhesive tape.

But there are still the speaker plates. Is it possible to again use adhesive tape to cover them completely? Or would that interfere with the ventilation system of the MBP?

Are there other, potentially dangerous, "holes" through which a fluid could enter the MBP?

I would be grateful for any answer!

Best wishes
    Jochen

2. Queen6, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Buy a Notebook stand, it`s a lot easier, long as the liquids are lower than your Mac it`s safe. Mac portables have zero protection for liquid ingress and nothing you can do can protect them fully short of keeping them out of harms way.

Q-6

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The best way to avoid spills is not to drink near it, aside from that extreme option (which may not be feasble) is to use a laptop stand. I use mStand by Rain design for this very reason

4. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Taping the speakers won't interfere with the ventilation. Nor will keyboard covers. Just don't saran-wrap the rear vent under your screen or side vents if using a rMBP.

I'm all for drinking around my computer. But at work I do use a stand which seems to help when I knock over my water. I use this portable one