Are the temperatures that I'm seeing normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FusionMK, Aug 10, 2014.

1. FusionMK macrumors newbie

I bought a new mid-2014 15" Macbook Pro, and noticed some interesting temperatures in iStats. The idle temperature seems to be around 50 degrees celcius with an ambient temperature of approximately 30 degrees. However, whenever I play games, particularly DOTA 2 in Bootcamp, the temperature shoots up and sustains at around 90 degrees celcius throughout the whole gaming session. Is this normal? Or do I have a defective Macbook?

Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Perfectly normal. Relax and enjoy your Mac.

4. FusionMK thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess the question I should be asking is how much will the life of my MacBook be lowered after constant gaming (i.e. ~10 hours/week of cpu temps at 90 degrees celsius)?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The reduction in lifespan would be so small as to be unmeasurable. Many users put higher demands than that on their Mac notebooks for much longer periods of time, with no ill effects. It is highly likely you'll replace your Mac for a newer one with higher specs long before you would see any negative effects of your gaming.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

I have a few friends running their laptops with the CPU and GPU pegged at 100% for weeks on end, 24/7. The only times these laptops are not running at 100% is for updates and in between the large calculations they are running. Those laptops are between 3 and 6 years old and none of them has shown any sign that damage has been done to it in any way.

Just use your laptop, it'll be fine.