Are there already refurbished iPad 3th gens?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JoeyL, Apr 11, 2012.

1. JoeyL macrumors newbie

My iPad (3th gen) I bought a few days ago had a problem with the backlight visable and dust under the screen. So I went back to the Apple Premium Reseller, and they also saw it. However they only could take my iPad (they didn't need the charger/cable) and trade it for another which will come tommorow, but that one is only the iPad, not the box and charger etc. Is this a refurbished product? I didn't pay €479 to get a second-hand iPad..

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's a "new" replacement product. They aren't going to give you a new package, just a new iPad. Kind of wasteful to give you a new charger and cable when they aren't defective and you already own a printed box.

In any case, refurbished isn't "second-hand", it's functionally new with a new battery and casing.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm not sure how it would work with your reseller. However, Apple would take back your iPad and exchange it for a refurbished unit. Apple's refurbs are generally as pristine as new because they remove the outer shell and replace it.

Why not ask them?

4. JoeyL thread starter macrumors newbie

I did, and he said it was new, but I'm not sure if I can believe that. :p However, I'm not sure if there are already refurbished iPad 3's? The thing isn't out for a month.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Pardon the snarky comment, but you'd believe us instead? :confused:

6. illippinno macrumors regular

illippinno

For some reason, your comment made me laugh out loud. +1 for you.

7. JoeyL thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't say that. I only want to know if anyone know how long it will take for Apple to have a refurbished stock (at least how long did this take in the past? I'm new to Apple products). And if it means it is refurbished if they don't need the charger and cable/box. :D

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I always see people start a post with "Trust me, ........".:D

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's new. They maintain inventory of "brown box" replacements for just such a situation. I'm not sure why this makes you skeptical or raises any issue in the first instance.

10. JoeyL thread starter macrumors newbie

Just because they didn't give me the iPad directly but I needed to wait a few days, add this to it not being in the original box. I didn't know this was standard for Apple products, with other products you usually get a completely new sealed box. Anyway, I was just wondering it..

Hope I can pick it up tommorow. :)

11. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

That is odd. They gave me brown box replacement on the spot. Maybe they know they're getting more in tomorrow and your first on the list ?

Too early for refurbs, my apple genius also said its new and just set aside for replacements.

----------

This made me laugh out loud also.

12. JoeyL thread starter macrumors newbie

Well in Holland we only got 1 "official" Apple Store, the rest are Premium Resellers which have a little less stock I guess, I think they need to order it because of the lack of stock here (it is almost impossible to get a new iPad from a shop at the moment, so I'm pretty happy if they can give me a new one tomorrow).

Thanks for all your answers by the way. :)

13. plucky duck macrumors 6502

New enough for me considering the new iPad JUST came out. I personally wouldn't care one way or another. Before accepting your replacement make sure you inspect it in store prior to taking ownership is all I can say if you're really paranoid about it.

14. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Oh ok well that explains, they prob didn't have any left. They only have very few brown box replacements even in high traffic stores.

15. JoeyL thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL I'm not paranoid about it, I was just wondering it because of how they were dealing with it. I'm not familiar with Apple products and the way their exchanges work, that is all..

16. poloponies macrumors 68030

As an aside, with devices like these, where there really aren't any moving parts (aside from the three external switches) "refurbished" shouldn't scare anyone away. It's not like the prior flow of electrons through the device will diminish your experience with it. In many cases it will be better than new because someone made the effort to verify that it was performing fully to spec.

17. JoeyL thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, and they also place a new shell and glass around it right? In that case it isn't a problem, but because the iPad is on the market for 2,5 weeks in Holland I was wondering if it already could be refurbished.

18. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Actually yes the refurbs are in stores the turn around time is fairly fast but if the store you go to still had some new ones left you could be getting those first either way is fine.

19. JoeyL thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you work at a Apple Store? Or how did you get this information?

20. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

I do not but a friend of mine does and would be in the know on this due to his position

21. JoeyL thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, its pretty quick then. Shipping them from store to repair point, having the parts, repairing, shipping back in less then 2.5 weeks? :p

22. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Our local store in Jax, FL says they have had refurbs for a couple of weeks. I have to believe them as I can not see a reason to lie about it. They did have stock of every model iPad 3 but they said that some are getting a little harder to find.

23. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

From what I've been told the process is quick and Apple has it done quickly to keep costs down and product available. It's all about moving the product.

24. JoeyL thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got my new new iPad. :p Seems new, they took it out the box for me and as far as I could see it is new. Does have a little bleeding, but I'm not as OCD as some people here so I don't care about it. Thanks guys. :D

25. coco0612 macrumors newbie

Hey guys i've got a small question relevant to this. Do apple accept to offer a refurbished product which is more recent for an older version product?
    I have a broken glass ipad 2 and would like to know if i could give it in and pay for a refurbished ipad 3.

Thanks for the help!