Are there any 30" displays with DisplayPort yet?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cave Man, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I seem to be unable to locate such a beast. Does anyone know if there are any available or "coming soon"?

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Coming soon, yes, available, no. As far as I know there aren't. The four makers of 30" panels don't have them yet anyway. Samsung, HP, Dell, and LaCie don't have any Display Port monitors on the market.

And we know there won't be any 3rd party mini DP out for some time. I have a feeling though, that the industry may..... MAY be waiting to produce some mini DP adaptors and such to outfit their monitors with anything that could be used on Apple's uber proprietary connector.

3. danny_w macrumors 601

What do you mean there are no DisplayPort monitors? The Dell 3008WFP has DisplayPort (but not miniDP, and there are no miniDP->DisplayPort adapters yet). I didn't check the others, but I suspect they also have DisplayPort moinitors. But the OP asked about DisplayPort, not miniDP.

4. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I said as far as I know.

Now I know.

And I know the OP was talking about DP, not mini DP. I just threw that in there.

I went and checked (real quick) LaCie, Nec, and a site that sells Eizo displays locally, and there aren't any 30" panels with DP.

5. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

...so you checked LaCie and NEC, but unequivocally stated that Samsung, HP amd Dell didn't have them... right....

But yeah Dell has offered display port on a range of monitors (30" inclusive) for the last 12 - 18 months. HP as far as I know doesn't actually offer a monitor larger than 26". And don't buy a samsung, they are dodgey.

6. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Maybe because they'd be the top notch monitor makers that most would expect to keep up with that kind of technology.

And you seemed to miss the fact that HP DOES in fact have a 30" monitor. They were the manufacturer RIGHT AFTER APPLE to have a 30" monitor.... right.....

We are all full of FAIL today aren't we. ;)

7. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

Where bro? I can't find one. Cause i was in the market and did have a look at HP. It was my understanding that the 30" had been discontinued?

8. z1ross macrumors newbie

well when it comes to a mini-displayport(MDP) to displayport(DP) adapters. There should be no adapters, there should simply be cables with MDP on one end then 6' of cable and DP on the other end as this will allow the best quality.

Speaking of that.... since Apple's dual-link MDP adapter is choking like a kitten on fishbones, has anyone tired Dell's 30"with DP on any of the MAC's with DP or MDP??

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but since this is now available (http://estore.circuitassembly.com/products/Mini-Displayport-to-Displayport-Adapter-Cable.html) I thought this thread might be of some help to people.

I'm successfully running a 13" unibody MacBook via this DisplayPort cable on a Dell 3008WFP. Works perfectly.

10. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

Do I read you right that a $15 cable permits native 30" resolution for you?

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Correct. It adapts Apple's mini-DisplayPort to a full-sized DisplayPort connector, thus I was able to connect it to my 3008WFP.

Apple's mini-DisplayPort uses standard DisplayPort signals, same number of conductors, etc., just with a shrunken-down mini connector. This cable simply has a mini connector at one end and a full-size connector on the other. No signal conversion/processing.

12. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

Well, then, it truly is obscene that Apple charges so much for theirs.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Well, in all fairness, Apple's dual-link DVI adapter does need to do some internal signal processing to convert DP to DL-DVI. That's why it needs the USB connector - for power.

But Apple probably does have a 50% profit margin on it.

On the other hand, the $15 cable is just a straight-thru cable with a mini connector at one end and a standard connector on the other. It does no signal conversion.

14. akm3 macrumors 68020

I'm going to go the Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable to a 30" monitor - however, I don't know which monitor to choose.

Which monitors have DisplayPort other than the Dell 3008WFP?

I thought there might have been a Samsung as well?

IPS isn't as important to me as 2560x1600