Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZoroastrianChemist

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
Facebook recently began intrusive advertising on videos. Nothing in this entire world makes my blood boil more than having to sit through 15 seconds of some stupid video game trailer only to view a 1:34min video. That’s 17% of the video. Like I am actually considering switching platforms because of how much it angers me. I care nothing about design, performance, fan base, but forced ads? Ads are the end all be all. Advertisements that restrict you from viewing content until you consume them is just plain abuse.

ZoroastrianChemist

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
The apps suggested are only for Safari. I’d prefer a solution that encompasses other applications such as Facebook and YouTube, but for now, I’ll use Safari. Thanks.

Sharkoneau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2017
Michigan
1Blocker works great
I second this, and it’s extremely lightweight. It tends to catch a great majority of ads, but of course isn’t infallible. If you’re looking for something for only Safari - if you can’t find a systemic solution - then this is a good choice.

Just know that while it’s free (ad blocking only, or whatever single package you choose to enable), you need to upgrade to enable all packages and configurations.

Reactions: ZoroastrianChemist

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
This is a great post. I have Firefox fucus but again it's a website browser. As others said how about Facebook app or even using Tapatalk app? What would you all recommend

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
This is a great post. I have Firefox fucus but again it's a website browser. As others said how about Facebook app or even using Tapatalk app? What would you all recommend

It's a browser but go to safari content blocker settings and itsnin there

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
So you could block ads in the YouTube app?

No.

VPN based system-wide adblockers are being hunted by Apple. Most of them have ceased to operate by installing a fake VPN (the one that works entirely inside your own device) and, as a workaround, are working now through DNS servers from those adblockers companies.

An example is AdGuard Pro. It used to work as a fake VPN, but now it's just a custom DNS installer that, as a paid app, allows you to make your device connect to custom DNS servers through cellular network (remember that iOS, by default, only gives you option to insert custom DNS in Wi-Fi networks, not cellular).

The remaining apps that install fake VPN servers inside your own phone will be shut down by Apple eventually (Apple has changed their App Store rules and now fake VPN apps are forbidden).

As for DNS adblockers, they work well in most cases, although not as good as fake VPN adblockers. However, neither fake VPN nor adblocker DNS server can block some apps ads, like Facebook, YouTube, Instagram. That's because those apps download ads in a cryptographic algorithm and from the same servers that provide the app content itself, making it impossible for adblockers to intercept them.

But, good guy Apple provides iOS with the Safari Content Blocker API, which allows apps that use it to block ads from basically every website (including the ones from Facebook, YouTube and Instagram). In other words, you can block ads from those services, but only when you use them through a web browser with adblocker in iOS.

Because of this, I don't have YouTube and Facebook apps in my iPhone. I still use Instagram, because their ads aren't retardedly invasive.

I would use Facebook app if it (just like it's Android brother) allowed me to set it to open links in Safari by default. The iOS version of Facebook app forces you to open every link through it's built-in web browser, that doesn't use Safari Content Blocker API. I know I can manually click the option to open the page in Safari, but having to do that for EVERY link is unacceptable.

This is the adblocker that I use for Safari:
https://itunes.apple.com/br/app/adb...aster-without-tracking/id1028871868?l=en&mt=8

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Facebook recently began intrusive advertising on videos. Nothing in this entire world makes my blood boil more than having to sit through 15 seconds of some stupid video game trailer only to view a 1:34min video. That’s 17% of the video. Like I am actually considering switching platforms because of how much it angers me. I care nothing about design, performance, fan base, but forced ads? Ads are the end all be all. Advertisements that restrict you from viewing content until you consume them is just plain abuse.

Hi, there are many. I use adblock vpn, it works fine.

Thats not true, vpn based apps are system wide.
Pseudo-VPN apps for iOS have been removed from the App Store and will no longer be approved. One can no longer download iOS apps that block ads in other apps.

Your only solution is to use mobile Safari and use a content blocker (an extension).

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
No.

VPN based system-wide adblockers are being hunted by Apple. Most of them have ceased to operate by installing a fake VPN (the one that works entirely inside your own device) and, as a workaround, are working now through DNS servers from those adblockers companies.

An example is AdGuard Pro. It used to work as a fake VPN, but now it's just a custom DNS installer that, as a paid app, allows you to make your device connect to custom DNS servers through cellular network (remember that iOS, by default, only gives you option to insert custom DNS in Wi-Fi networks, not cellular).

The remaining apps that install fake VPN servers inside your own phone will be shut down by Apple eventually (Apple has changed their App Store rules and now fake VPN apps are forbidden).

As for DNS adblockers, they work well in most cases, although not as good as fake VPN adblockers. However, neither fake VPN nor adblocker DNS server can block some apps ads, like Facebook, YouTube, Instagram. That's because those apps download ads in a cryptographic algorithm and from the same servers that provide the app content itself, making it impossible for adblockers to intercept them.

But, good guy Apple provides iOS with the Safari Content Blocker API, which allows apps that use it to block ads from basically every website (including the ones from Facebook, YouTube and Instagram). In other words, you can block ads from those services, but only when you use them through a web browser with adblocker in iOS.

Because of this, I don't have YouTube and Facebook apps in my iPhone. I still use Instagram, because their ads aren't retardedly invasive.

I would use Facebook app if it (just like it's Android brother) allowed me to set it to open links in Safari by default. The iOS version of Facebook app forces you to open every link through it's built-in web browser, that doesn't use Safari Content Blocker API. I know I can manually click the option to open the page in Safari, but having to do that for EVERY link is unacceptable.

This is the adblocker that I use for Safari:
https://itunes.apple.com/br/app/adb...aster-without-tracking/id1028871868?l=en&mt=8
Thank you for the info. I was wondering because I use protube for YouTube but it was taken down and I can’t get it on my phone anymore.

Reactions: max2

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
If you have an older version of an ad blocker, like Adguard Pro and never update it after the new app store rules, will it continue to be able to do system wide ad blocking or is this being blocked through iOS somehow?

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
If you have an older version of an ad blocker, like Adguard Pro and never update it after the new app store rules, will it continue to be able to do system wide ad blocking or is this being blocked through iOS somehow?

It will continue to block ads. Developers had to make changes to their apps to comply with the new rules, it's not done through iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.