Are there any after market batteries that work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by serr, Nov 7, 2014.

1. serr macrumors regular

Are there any after market battery alternatives that are legitimate products?

There was a company called NuPower that was making legitimate batteries for a few years that were every bit the quality of OEM Apple batteries. They were $100 vs. $150 for OEM Apple which was nice. That lasted until about a year or so ago and they make absolute garbage now (nearly Chinese bootleg quality).

Is there anyone out there other than Apple that makes professional batteries now?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. serr thread starter macrumors regular

Preaching to the choir my friend! :)

But there DID used to be a professional alternative (NuPower). Can it really true that only Apple knows how to make batteries now?! That just doesn't seem reasonable.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Apple only charge $100 anyway

If I remember rightly thats what apple charge why not get them to do it???

5. serr thread starter macrumors regular

It's just under $150 with tax. The NuPower batteries that used to be professional quality were just under $100 with tax and shipping. $50 a pop savings was very well worth it.

But we're back to Apple's $150 battery at this point. What NuPower devolved into as well as all the obvious bootlegs aren't even worth $20 each.

It just doesn't seem reasonable that here in 2014 no one besides Apple knows how to manufacture a battery!

6. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Apple don't make batteries. Someone supplies Apple with batteries. You find that manufacturer and arrange to get one from them or their distributor and you're onto a winner.

7. airattack111 macrumors member

I'm using an Anker battery with no side effects. Was way cheaper than OEM.

8. serr thread starter macrumors regular

Well. $70 and an 18 month warranty. Pretty much good reviews. OK, you've got my attention now. Thanks for the tip! :)

9. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

Can you buy apple OEM battery for the MBP 15" 2010 model? if so where should i buy it from? will apple sell me the pure battery and not the service too?

10. anonthymous macrumors newbie

anonthymous

I believe they bundle the service and the price together which IMO is kinda frustrating knowing that one can easily do it themselves. This to me is Apple's way of promoting one to buy their "Protection Plan". If you replace it yourself or buy another battery not under OEM, this ensures that they are not liable for any damage you incur on the unit if you opened it without explicit warning. This is pretty much the standard for laptop companies nowadays and I'm sure many here on the forum can testify to that.

On a completely unrelated note, I've made a separate thread to (hopefully) address and gauge feedback on aftermarket battery alternatives if you're (or any on this thread now) is interested in looking into.