Are there any Airplay speakers to fit my needs?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by itsjustmeee, Dec 22, 2011.

1. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

From what I've seen, Airplay enabled speaker choices are really lacking at this point. It seems to me a no-brainer for what I'm looking for too. I just want some decent speakers to use in a spare bedroom for watching Netflix, playing games etc on my ipad. I would also like for them to be 2.1, or at least 2.0 and not something like the Jambox ... I would like some stereo separation. To be able to put a speaker on either side of a couch or a bed would be ideal. I was considering bluetooth as an option, but the choices aren't really that amazing in that department either and besides, my whole house is already so "apple friendly" with an airport express and extreme, I thought that Airplay would be the way to go.

Has anyone seen speakers that would fit the bill for me (and not break the bank at the same time?)

BTW, does anyone know if more than one device can be heard through Airplay at the same time? If 2 ipads are in the middle of a wifi game, can both stream audio to Airplay speakers and be heard?

2. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

This may help with your last question. We have 2 Apple TV's in the house. I can airplay from my iPhone or MBP to one and my girlfriend can airplay to the other. I would assume what you are wanting to do would work fine.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

you cannot stream from 2 devices to 1 receiver at the same time.

also because of the way airplay works, games may not stream audio, i tried one of mine, and it didn't work. there is a couple second delay in the audio due to buffering, it's not obvious, because the interface is delayed to matched the audio output, but it's there.

also netflix doesn't stream anything to airplay, not even just audio.
    the built in video app will play video on the iphone, and audio out of you airplay speakers though.

you could get an airport express, and a set of speakers, probably going to get you the closest to what you want.

4. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

So for just having a set of wireless speakers for watching netflix, hulu, games, etc, it sounds like it's much better (and easier) to just use bluetooth, correct?