Are there any Android phones that don't lag over time?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by jtsang777, Jul 1, 2017.

1. jtsang777 macrumors member

im looking at android phones and want to know if there are any that don't have stutter/lag performance issues. Are there any that don't have these issues? I'm looking right now at the Sony XZ Premium and the Pixel. Or am I still better off with an iPhone even though the interface is kinda boring.

2. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502

QueenTyrone

My note 5 doesn't lag at all, but not all phones are the same. My 7+ lags on stock and jailbroken./shrug I guess I just expect all phones to stutter/lag

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

You're better off with whatever phone makes you the happiest even if it might be a little boring.

4. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I'd recommend the Pixel. Stock android is great and should hold up just fine over time.

5. Yankee512 Suspended

Yankee512

Every Android phone I have owned has lagged, sometimes badly. You just have to get use to it. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to make their phones look good.

I have never had my iPhones lag. They never lag going into the phone dialer, text messaging, etc. I have seen an issue where the APP may freeze, but that is the APP having an issue and not the phone. Android devices lag just going into the dialer. LOL

Here is what I have owned.

Note 3, 4, 5, 7
    S3, 4, 5, 6, 7 edge
    LG v10, v20
    Multiple HTC high end models. HTC One (forget the model off hand)
    iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5s, 6s plus, 7 plus

6. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

EVERY PHONE lags over time. Original Hardware is a limiting factor as software is updated to match faster/better hardware in new phones. Anyone that says their iPhone never lags is living in different reality. I own every iPhone variation since the 3G.

7. mib1800 macrumors 68000

My last few phones (note4 and 5, mate9, oppo r9s+ and now S8+) didn't lag even after weeks of continuous uptime.

I think lag is mostly caused by badly designed apps which hog RAM (or use increasing RAM usage over time).

8. Puddled macrumors regular

Puddled

Stick with your iPhone.

That's not to say iPhones don't lag over time though. The Apple post-update-planned-obsolescence-phenomenon is well documented. IPhone lag and post-uodate slowdown pushed me to android where my S6 is still marching on like a champ on it's 3rd iteration of Android!

No, the leading manner of your OP suggests you find fault with android regardless.

Don't disappoint yourself.

9. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

For me personally lag is something minimal that I experience on both my iOS and Android devices. I would day take a look at a Galaxy S8+ and see if the lag is too much for you as it exists in all phones no matter the OS.

If the S8 lags too much for you then...

Look at:

-OnePlus 5
    -OnePlus 3T
    -LG G6
    -Google Pixel XL
    -LG V20
    -Sony Xperia XZ Premium
    -HTC U11

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Worth saying that over a year or so even the iPhone benefits from a full restore to clean out all the garbage that builds up with regular usage.

11. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Planned obsolescence is a joke.

12. Yankee512 Suspended

Yankee512

True, but new Android phones lag right out of the box. Not even a month old.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2017 ---
    That and 2 years no more updates....

13. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

My S8 Plus runs really good, actually.

14. Strelok macrumors 6502

Strelok

I haven't had any luck with Android. It's not that my 6S Plus NEVER lags, it's just that the lag is usually a non-issue since it isn't all the time and within stock apps like messages or phone. My S6 would lag doing the most basic tasks.

15. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Yes, even iphones lag and FC apps right out of the box. Apple does a better job of hiding the lag through a software trick (i.e. smoothing out scrolling by forcibly keeping it painfully slow).
    Apple is much better at software optimization though. I don't think anyone can dispute that.

16. Yankee512 Suspended

Yankee512

Good for you, not the common.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/how-to/scroll-stuterring-lagging-galaxy-s8-t3593592

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8+/help/lags-time-t3606189

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/notification-shade-lag-stutter-t3600114

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/lag-micro-stuttering-stock-launcher-t3596498

https://forums.androidcentral.com/s.../792857-anyone-having-lag-stutter-issues.html
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2017 ---
    I turn that feature off on my phones. But I have never had an iPhone lag doing simple stuff like making a phone call or texting someone where the Android phones do.

17. Tig Bitties macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

Only the Nexus / Pixel phones remain smooth as butter and flowing water 6+ months on. The OnePlus phones are smooth for a long time too.

Samsung LOL not. LG nope.

HTC phones are pretty smooth, as are Motorola phones.

But Samsung just blows, Lagwiz sucks.

18. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

You really don’t want to engage in the “here Are forum topics” type of argument. It never ends well.

19. Fille84 macrumors regular

Oh you looked up a few posts on xda and now it's a common problem. Nice work

20. Yankee512 Suspended

Yankee512

As usual, denial at it's best. It's all over the web, I only posted a few.

No need to threaten me.

21. Michael Goff, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2017

Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I wasn’t threatening you. I was just pointing out that bad arguments get eaten up around here. Why is it a bad argument? Because people go online to complain about things.

How was that a threat?

22. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 6502a

Suckfest 9001

One way to find out: go to the nearest store with phones on display, and just play around with a few Android phones and the iPhone.

23. Fille84 macrumors regular

You read posts on forums like xda and so on posted by tech people who pretty much consider everything to lag. If you tell "normal" consumers that the S8 lag they will think your'e an idiot.

24. widgeteer macrumors 65816

That is the worst way to determine how any phone works. Display units are treated like complete garbage.

25. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 6502a

Suckfest 9001

Yet display unit iPhones never perform badly.

As such, we have our answer.