Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Specifically over-clocking benches? Speed as well as current temps?

This is how anybody with knowledge of heat works does their case cooling to begin with. You get a custom case (Like a cooler master), and only the fans at the bottom blow into the machine. The ones at the top blow outward and upward. The result is usually extremely good temps, since heat rises and you basically blow the heat upward and outward.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
You have seen the circular Mac Pro right??

Anyways, there's no benches currently on overclocking, or even cooling yet. Just talks of new air flow system. Yeah, that's great, but it would be nice to see temps..

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

Anyways, there's no benches currently on overclocking, or even cooling yet. Just talks of new air flow system. Yeah, that's great, but it would be nice to see temps..

Temps? How are you going to find benchmarks of temperatures with the new cooling system when the product has not been released or reviewed?

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007

Seriously? You really expect to see benchmarks on a machine which no one outside of Apple has access to without HUGE non-disclosure documents?

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Seriously? You really expect to see benchmarks on a machine which no one outside of Apple has access to without HUGE non-disclosure documents?

You may not be familiar with new hardware releases, but on the pc side we get benches all the time from hardware that hasn't been released. Conroe had benches before it was released (Conroe was the code name of Intels Core 2 Duo). AMD also released benches of things like the Phenom 2 and Bulldozer (Which turned out to be a huge lie).

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
After thirty years as a software engineer and engineering executive with a focus on computer systems performance, I'd say I'm familiar with benchmarks on just about everything from IBM mainframes to PCs.

The fact that benchmarks exist on other machines has nothing to do with Apple, particularly since no one outside of Apple knows what processors will be used. Feel free to guess, as many people do.

Then there's the question of what benchmarks actually show - a debate that has been raging since I first started building and running them many, many moons ago.

If you cool your jets you'll get all the benchmarks you want a few days after they ship.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
For whatever reason, the scores shown in that link are 32-bit scores. We all know that the native 64-bit scores would be higher.

Lou

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
Adobe really needs to work on their multi-threading. You see why the HEX was always the mac to get, unless you do tons of rendering in apps that scale well.

And is there really nothing better than geekbench, or newer versions? The 64bit model being based on Pentium 4, and the 32 bit older still.

I have often wondered what the max TDP the nMP could support would be. I think 150W is off the table. The 2x 12 cores are the 2695v2 and 2697v2 are 115w and 130w which are clues. There seems to be an assumption that the 2.7 ghz 130w version will be featured, is that known? If the max is only 115 TDP then there are at least 5 E5 v2 skews that will not be possible. The E5 2680 v2 is still there :) but not the 2690 v2 :(.

chris.k

macrumors member
May 22, 2013
YSSY
This thread is making me laugh! :p

I'm having fun reading some other macrumours posts, like

"Hey! you guys know what a filesystem is? Its where you can see your files and stuff.! I cant believe you guys have never heard of a file system before!"

"You guys seen this Android thing yet? It's a different program like iOS for iPhone! I cant believe you guys haven't heard of Android Before!"

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I'm having fun reading some other macrumours posts, like

"Hey! you guys know what a filesystem is? Its where you can see your files and stuff.! I cant believe you guys have never heard of a file system before!"

"You guys seen this Android thing yet? It's a different program like iOS for iPhone! I cant believe you guys haven't heard of Android Before!"

Do you have links to those threads?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.