Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
It really surprises me just how bad "reviews" have gotten. I've watched/read most of the big ones for the 7 and it blows my mind how little direct comparison there is to the 6 and 6S. I don't want to listen to iPhone 7 feature list over and over again! I feel like I'm going to be having nightmares about how its now water resistant or doesn't have a headphone jack (which also is driving me crazy, JUST USE THE INCLUDED ADAPTER!)

I want COMPARISONS. How about some deep photograph comparisons that show the 7 against the 6/6S in different conditions. Why not show OIS and see if its any better than it was in the 6S+? How about some speed tests (not benchmarks) that show real world day to day activities on the models. Ditto with battery life (some reviews have battery tests, but its hard to really judge when its an artificial benchmark).

I think its crazy that I haven't seen any of this stuff yet. Really disappointed with tech journalism lately. Seems like people are content with learning the feature set and the journalist's quick take on whether or not they should buy it...Are there any technical reviews that really dive into the true differences?

Reactions: metsjetsfan

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
It really surprises me just how bad "reviews" have gotten. I've watched/read most of the big ones for the 7 and it blows my mind how little direct comparison there is to the 6 and 6S. I don't want to listen to iPhone 7 feature list over and over again! I feel like I'm going to be having nightmares about how its now water resistant or doesn't have a headphone jack (which also is driving me crazy, JUST USE THE INCLUDED ADAPTER!)

I want COMPARISONS. How about some deep photograph comparisons that show the 7 against the 6/6S in different conditions. Why not show OIS and see if its any better than it was in the 6S+? How about some speed tests (not benchmarks) that show real world day to day activities on the models. Ditto with battery life (some reviews have battery tests, but its hard to really judge when its an artificial benchmark).

I think its crazy that I haven't seen any of this stuff yet. Really disappointed with tech journalism lately. Seems like people are content with learning the feature set and the journalist's quick take on whether or not they should buy it...Are there any technical reviews that really dive into the true differences?
Anandtech does the best imo. But they take a few weeks to do a thorough review. I think they need more time. And I agree its almost better for them to put a lower quality review sooner than wait and do a real one due to page views and ad dollars

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
The ars technica review is fairly comprehensive.

It doesn't have some of the content you really want but it's more in depth than most.
I was just going to post that ars review. They also do a nice review of iOS 10 and how it runs on older devices.

My only issue with "reviews" that I'm reading is that they heard the bandwagon gassing up over the headphone jack and potential for scratches on the Jet Black so everyone has to get on board and be very concernstipated about those two issues. With Very Furrowed Brow and a Note of Sad Disappointment in a Post-Steve Apple they tell us that It's Just Not a Great Update/Groundbreaking Innovation This Year. Gimme a break.

I guess they figure no one wants to read a review that says "This phone is awesome and beautiful! You are going to love it!" They all have to second guess the design team or the engineering team about what components have priority. As if Apple decided on a whim this time last year to get rid of the headphone jack and then spent an hour coming up with an excuse for why.

Reactions: karmamule
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.