Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
Since Verizon no longer subsidizes the iPhone, I was thinking about going for the unlocked version. Seems like the upside is complete carrier freedom without any downside.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Since Verizon no longer subsidizes the iPhone, I was thinking about going for the unlocked version. Seems like the upside is complete carrier freedom without any downside.
Verizon versions are already unlocked by default (as of iPhone 5).

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
Verizon versions are already unlocked by default (as of iPhone 5).
I didn't know that. But I don't think that the Verizon version has all the bands that the unlocked version has.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I didn't know that. But I don't think that the Verizon version has all the bands that the unlocked version has.
There can be differences in bands when it comes to the SIM-Free version (assuming that's what you are talking about).

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona

Um Verizon still offers 2 year contracts you just have to buy the phone from Verizon directly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.