Are there any external esata drives / enclosures that don't require power?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by spaceballl, Mar 13, 2009.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'm looking for something like a USB drive that doesn't need an additional wall wart... except... eSATA. I've done some searching and can't seem to come up with anything.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

eSATA data connections don't carry power so that's why they all need separate power sources.

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Then how does a product like this work if there is zero power being delivered?

4. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

If you read the small print at the bottom, it says that usb cable is included to power it.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Always helps to read the fine print.

6. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

It says the following:
    Also, did some research and found this link about Power over SATA.

So I did a search for a review of the flash drive and it looks like at the time of the review, Jan 2009 (not that long ago), most esata ports did not include technology to power the drive. Looks like this technology is coming down the pipe and i'll just need to wait a while....
    So it's definitely possible, but a bit of a waiting game... we need esata ports to support the standard... then we need drives/enclosures. Seems like this will take a long time.

The reason why I asked is I'm modding my TiVo HD for a 1TB internal drive, but I wanted to take the current drive and use it as an external expansion. But I'm all out of power ports in my home theater shelf system and I don't want to add to clutter so I was hoping for some sort of USB drive-like solution. Looks like one does not exist yet... Thanks for the responses!

7. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

yes but actually reading the fine print does specify that if the laptop supports power over sata, the drive supports it.