Are there any Fender/Squier Telecaster fans out there?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Jun 14, 2008.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I am a guitar player and after over 30 years of playing, I chose as my all time favorite electric guitar the Fender Telecaster.

It's kind of a quirky thing among electric guitarists to like Teles as most players often choose a Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul, Fender/Squier Stratocaster, or some heavy metal guitar (Jackson, Ibanez, ESP/LTD, Shechter, Dean) with a modern double locking trem system and/or hotter pickups

So how many Tele afficianados are there out there in Macintosh land?

2. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

I love my american standard tele. given the simplicity of the guitar, it is an outrageous versatile beast.

3. MTorr3 macrumors newbie

Are there any Fender/Squier Telecaster fans out there?

Yep, I have a 2006 Highway 1 Tele. I never really cared for the twangy country-western sound that the Telecaster is known for but the Highway 1 model is pretty versatile. I can get just about anything I want out of it by tweaking the tone knob. Country spank to just about the Clapton "Beano" tone.

Playing my Tele makes me understand how a Telecaster and a small amp produced the guitar sound on Led Zeppelin's debut album.

Of course I still have my Strats and Les Pauls too. You gotta cover ALL the bases!:D

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

right now, i don't currently have any telecasters, but i have had six or seven over the years ('65, '68', '78, am std tele, squier std tele, and a fernandez tele copy of a butterscotch-blackguard model that i can remember)

what i do now, to cover the current bases i am on, namely big band bebop (is why i have a hollowbody - ibanez with flatwounds) and on a rare occassion i have a punk band (which is why i have a solidbody with humbuckers - esp/ltd viper with emg hz's), but if i just had one guitar on a desert island, it would be an old pre-CBS telecaster

but the am. std tele was the loudest highest out put tele i ever had and that could actually handle the punk/metal music i play since that tele doesn't have the traditional tele twang of old, but a heavy midrange bridge pickup approaching that of a standard humbucker, especially when cranked with distortion through a marshall

a fender tele with a stock fender red lace sensor bridge pickup though is every bit as powerful and full sounding as any gibson humbucker and fender had some of those in the 90s...monsterous and gothic to the core

i had a friend put one of those fender red lace sensor pickups in his charvel V and that thing rocked hard and had more output than his charvel/jackson stock pickup :)

fender got smart starting in '85 with head honcho shultz and put more midrange into the fender and squier telecasters and listened to all the old school tele rock players who often put hotter pickups in their teles and traded twang for balls

even country players opted for hotter, fatter bridge pickups and bardens and texas specials are a testament to that trend

but i still kind of like the old, underpowered '65 and '68 teles i had and they had a surf tone that can't be replicated by the hotter stock tele pickups of today

5. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

I used to have a candy apple red Telecoustic, but sold it since I never learned how to play it properly. It sure was pretty!

6. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I've been playing guitar for just short of 25yrs and roughly 20yrs of that was spent on Strats and Teles. Over the years, I've collected over 11 and cherish them each as if they were children. I've supplemented them with a couple Gibsons, a PRS, Gretsch (technically, still Fender), Rickenbacker and a Carvin; each of which are masterpieces in their own right, but none are the first instrument I reach for after a hard day at the office, a nasty break up, or after smashing my hand through the wall.

There's just something spiritual about a Fender.

Unfortunately, all but a few will likely be auctioned off before I get married. Amps as well.

7. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

My friend has a Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe. I love it. Looks nice, and sounds nice.

However, I'm more of a Strat Man myself. I love my Squier Strat. Very nice guitar.

Wouldn't mind getting a Tele myself, one day, though :D

8. kuk macrumors newbie

I have a squier affinity tele BSB and i love this beauty.
    Tele's have that "TWANG",a no nonses guitar.

9. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

They really got a decent instrument going in that price range. Leo Fender was spot on when he wanted to design a guitar that could be manufactured quickly and with quality w/o too much cost. The telecaster design was his nod to Henry Ford and basically the first real successful attempt at mass production in a guitar.

The tele will never be discontinued, even with this recession, and no matter how many times Fender will change hands.

10. STSNorthstar macrumors regular

I have a Fender American Fat Strat with a cherry burst body. That guitar is beautiful and plays fantastically. I'll get a Tele someday.

11. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

If you get a vintage type tele, a reissue of some sort like '52 or '69 thinline, what you will get will be close to the most opposite guitar to what you have now (which is Fender's appropriate answer to the onslaught of superstrats and power rock), and still be a Fender electric guitar. You can fill in all the gaps with an old style Telecaster with the twang factor and a single coil bridge pickup. A keef tele with humbucker in neck and single coil in bridge will pretty much exactly have what your superstrat doesn't, which is humbucker in neck and single coil in bridge.

Attached Files:

12. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I've never really been a fan of the Telecaster, particularly of its looks. I'm also not a guitar player, either, I'm a bass player. Love my fretless Fender Jazz Bass though.

13. bartelby macrumors Core

Although I'm mainly a bassist I do have a 80s Squire Tele. I like it...

14. Samslice12 macrumors member

I have a Squier Stratocaster.Pretty nice guitar.

15. jcportillo macrumors newbie

Hi, maybe i'm late:D (just 2 and a half years), I love my Fender Squire Telecaster and i'm a Mac user, maybe you'll find this video interesting, I think my Squire Tele sounds good. Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioLSR_GX0nE