Are there any good email programs besides Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bowlman23, Dec 4, 2007.

1. bowlman23 macrumors regular

Does anyone know of any good email software that is a little more customizable and powerful than mail?

Thanks.

2. russell.h macrumors regular

Thunderbird is excellent, but lacks Mail's OS X integration.

There is also Microsoft's Entourage, which I think you can only get as a part of MS Office 2004 at this point. I've heard that its an OK program, but its for PPC only at this point, so if you have an intel mac you will have to emulate it.

Mailsmith is written by Bare Bones Software, a company that writes pretty good software for Macs in my experience, but in keeping with their style I believe it is a very minimalist application. I think it also may not support IMAP.

Personally, I stick with Thunderbird. Very powerful, and there are themes available that will make it look pretty much just like Mail.app. The only downside is it's lack of integration, but I can live with it for now.

I really wish Omni Group would release a mail client...

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I'm using Office 2004 with Entourage on my Intel MacBook (C2D/Leopard), no issues, runs just fine. You don't have to do anything other than install and use it. Any PPC code is handled transparently.

4. palmerized macrumors regular

Out of curiosity - what don't you like about Mail? I'd give Thunderbird a whirl. I've tried both extensively and still have a hard time deciding. Both has pros and cons.

Lemme know what you don't like about Mail...

5. walnuts macrumors 6502

I use entourage to connect to my work exchange e-mail. It works fine, but it is slow to update. An update of the mailbox takes 2 minutes (which is annoying if it happens every ten minutes,) and a full restore of my 2.98 GB database takes 6 hours! However, its the best way to access exhange e-mail from my mac.

I actually just started using mail.app for my personal e-mail because of what I consider to be an amazing addition in leopard: quicklook attachments. It is sooo much better than how entourage deals with attachments (not only does it open the associated program for each file, but each time you open an attachment, it saves it to a temp folder that continues to grow until you remember to clear it out.)

6. LunarFalcon macrumors member

Will Microsoft Entourage's calendar and contacts sync with iPhone?

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Not directly (yet), but if you sync Calendar and import contacts to Address
    from Entourage, you'll achieve the same end result.

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yeah you can just keep your address book and calendar synced. The option for that is in Entourage.

9. LunarFalcon macrumors member