Are there any good, protective iPad mini 4 cases?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 55test55, Dec 16, 2015.

1. 55test55 macrumors 6502

Damn...finding an iphone case is so easy but i'm having a tough time finding anything for the ipad mini 4. Any recommendations? I'd get a Speck like my iphone 6+ has but they dont carry that. Thanks!

2. AddisonIII macrumors regular

You might try a company named ZooGue. I have personally had and use their iPad cases and love them. They do a great job at protecting and in the case of my oldest case which is on my iPad4 its still like new after 3 years of daily use.

3. 55test55 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I'll check it out. I wish designs were a bit more simple...there are a lot of really eccentric cases.

4. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

I have been a repeat customer of Portenzo for years. Cases can be pricey but the craftsmanship rates the price I find.

http://www.portenzo.com/collections/ipad-mini

I have used their booklike case before and liked them. Currently use their journal/ipad mini combo case. I haven't gone completely digital. I am an honorary member of the society for anachronism and find as great as digital is...it can't beat hard to define essences to writing in a good quality notebook/journal with a pen that you find writes well for your tastes all the time. I am a stationery geek as well so it meets all needs, moleskine notebook and mini 4 have a nice home to be carried around in.

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm quite disappointed by Apple choices about iPad Mini 4. There isn't any Smart Case for it.
    I have to buy a Smart Cover (€45) plus a rear case silicone cover (€69) .....

6. 55test55 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow...that is absurdly expensive!

7. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

Khomo is da bestest.

Feels quality, super affordable.

8. APPLfanCA macrumors regular

I use the Khomo one and it is amazing. It is almost identical to the smart case and is very sturdy. Lots of color choices too. Check it out on Amazon, great pricing.

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Yep. I paid 75€ for the iPad Air leather smart case, but at least it was one single piece. Now it would be 114€ for the two pieces.... and it's silicone

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Yeah, it's insane! The Canadian prices are $49 for the cover and $75 for the case... $124 combined! There are $15 cases online that offer similar protection.

11. AddisonIII macrumors regular

The prices Apple charge for paper thin Smart Cover is simply crazy. Then I ran across ZooGue three years ago
    I thought how much I liked the idea of how their covers would let you hold your device in so many angles I just had to try one. I haven't looked back since. The plus for me is how well the magnetic closer worked. I guess those covers that use elastic band to keep closed are great for some, but for those like me who don't want to worry how the effects of time might have on those bands stretching that not an issue for me.

12. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

The Apple Smart Case and Cover are overpriced in my opinion, but a great choice nonetheless. The fit is perfect, the edges of the case are very smooth making it comfortable to hold while using. The additional advantage is the ability to take the cover off easily when using the device.

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yeah think I'm going to have to buy both as other options are poor

If I get the same fir the 6s plus it's going to cost me £107 for all 3

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Sadly there isn't any Smart Case for the iPad Mini 4 .......

Yep .... I've been "forced" to buy both me too .... plus a silicone Apple cover for my iPhone 6, since I can't settle for a cheaper product.

16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I'm weird that if I get the sillcone case for my mini I need it for my phone.

I feel like I need it matching.

17. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

It's also misleading to call it a "case" when it only covers the back of the iPad. I'm not happy about the price, but the new 2 piece option does work well. Given a choice, I would have purchased the original leather Smart Case for my new mini.

18. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

guessing it means the air 3 will come with the same silcone case thats on the mini 4.

19. meistervu macrumors 65816

I am too looking for a good case for my new Mini 4. I have a SmartCase (real leather) for my Air 1. I was at first disappointed with the lack of a SmartCase for the Mini 4, so I tried the Apple Silicon Case and a SmartCover (expensive combo), thinking it's easy to return if things didn't work out. Well they worked much better than I expected, and I like this combo better than my SmartCase for the Air 1.

First, the SmartCase for the Air 1 is a really well made case, as minimal as one can get and still get pretty good protection. However, it still gets in the way of using the iPad. I do like the feel of leather better than bare sharp cold aluminum though, and that was the reason I got the case.

The Silicon Case and Smart Cover, while not leather, is nice to the touch, and is about as minimal as one can get. When folded behind the Silicon Case, the Smart Cover lies flat an is held one surprising well with strong magnets - it's like having no cover at all! This is one issue I had with the SmartCase. And of course the cover comes off with no effort.

The combo is pricey, but I think you really get what you pay for. I don't mind paying a little extra to have things work out as well as this combo. I can't stand those cases that treat the iPad like a yellow notepad inside a binder. I think aesthetically it's not very pleasing.

20. 55test55 thread starter macrumors 6502

I ended up with the Speck folio case from best buy but it doesnt have the sleep/wake that it claims it does, so I'm switching. I'd like something equally protective--the back of a lot of all the folio style cases are 'super slim' and seem to have non-existant protection. The Speck at least protects a little.

21. AddisonIII macrumors regular

Out of curiosity, has anyone who is looking for iPad protection even looked at the ZooGue brand? The sleep wake magnets of that brand work flawlessly and from my experience they hold up great when used daily.

22. KokoMAC macrumors newbie

I picked up a Speck StyleFolio Luxury case before Xmas for my new Mini 4 that does have the sleep/wake functionality. I purchased directly from the Speck site for $23.97 which was 40% off. I love it so far!

23. KokoMAC macrumors newbie

I just checked the Speck website and they are currently 30% off (must put into shopping cart to see discount).

24. Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

I have had leather Sena cases for all of the family iPads, but they are a bit pricey and they also let me down by not offering a folio case for the Mini4. So, I looked around & found the leather case from Kavaj ( http://kavaj.com/ipad-mini-4-case-berlin-cognac/ ). It was half the price ($45) and offers much better protection for the corners than the Sena cases. It has the sleep/wake function. I use it mostly in the lower, typing position. It is less stable in the upright position though it does work. I have had it since October and could not be happier. Check it out.