Are there any good Routers left in this world?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Alvi, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Hi Guys, Time ago i owned a Belkin N1 Vision Router which was great, really awsome shape, it had a nice display, but it died on a stormy day due to an electric discharge along with my Wireless phone :(

So i went ahead and bought another Belkin router expecting that nice quality, but this one is unstandable, yes, it was 3 times cheaper than my previous one, but that is no valid reason, Every 2 - 3 Requests / Downloads (like opening a website or doing an app store search or anything like that counts as 1) on my iDevices it cuts down so i have to go all the way to the settings and turn Wi-Fi off and on again

The range of it kinda bothers me too, It covers my house poorly, I get 1 or 2 Lines out of 3 in my kitchen, sometimes none however that is noone’s fault since it’s a cheap router

So I thought about it and the AirPort Line might be a good idea since most of my Wireless Devices are Apple Products so if i have an issue i can just tell them “Dude your router isn’t working with your phone” which is way better than getting redirected from Belkin to apple and from Apple to Belkin However, they are kind of expansive, I can afford the AirPort Express and the Extreme would be just too much for a router IMO

What router do you use and what’s your experience with it? Would you recommend it?

2. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

If you don't need wireless-N, then the Linksys WRT-54GL is awesome (it's Wireless G and B only). Linux based, so you can flash it with third party firmware. I use the Tomato firmware and it is absolutely rock solid.

I've currently got 3 Macs and a printer on wired ethernet, plus 2 Macs, 2 Squeezeboxes and 2 iPhones on wireless and it all runs without a hitch. I can honestly say in 6 months I've never had to reset it - you also don't need to restart when you change settings, unlike some routers.

3. Username02 macrumors regular

Time Capsule and D-Link DIR-655 have been working solid here for years.
    The DIR-655 for 4 years or so already IIRC.

Just got one of the new 2-band Airport Extremes... no complaints yet

4. cc2096 macrumors regular

cc2096

Just bought a Netgear WNDR-3700 to replace my Dlink DGL-4500 (wanted simultaneous dual band N). So far i'm loving it and so is my MBP (no drop outs or other anomalies).

5. mstrze macrumors 68000

Airport Extreme...only had to reboot it once in 3 years. It... just... works.

It really is worth the extra money for the lack of hassle.

6. belvdr macrumors 603

I ran two WRT54GLs for years (actually one was an original WRT54G when they were Linux-based). After getting our Mac, I wanted to backup wirelessly using Time Machine and discovered that I needed 802.11n so the backup would actually finish.

I responded by purchasing two AEBS units and have had no issue with them either. I still keep a WRT54GL for backup in case of failure.

Currently, I use a Cisco ASA for the firewall and the AEBS units for wireless coverage.

7. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Forgot to mention the other advantage of the WRT54GL - currently about a third of the price of an Airport Extreme.

I notice that Linksys/Cisco are doing a Linux Wireless-N router - WRT 160NL. Not used it, so I don't know if it's a worthy successor to the 54GL. Certainly looks nicer...:p

8. dacapo macrumors 6502

What about the ASUS RT-N16?
    I too am looking to get a new router and stumbled on this one, although I haven't quite pulled the trigger yet.

Apparently it's N with Tomato compatibility and has 2 usb ports (one for printing, one for external HDD?)

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

What this person said.

10. tooshaggy macrumors regular

tooshaggy

I have been using the linksys wrt45gt whatever for my entire wireless life, 7 years, and just got tired of having to unplug and plug it back in every week or so. Got the airport extreme today, and it is faster. Set up was super easy. I don't anticipate any problems with this unit.
    The lack of a web based set up utility does not matter to me either. It's not a valid argument against the airport in my opinion.
    Like it!

11. AndyMoore macrumors 6502

AndyMoore

I went through a couple of Belkins and a Netgear, all dropped connections although the Belkin was the worst culprit.

Ended up with an AEBS, not had a single problem since, not even a recycle.

My router woes. :mad:

12. AsterixGM macrumors newbie

Another satisfied AEBS user here. I was previously using a Linksys WRT54G and would have to unplug it on a weekly basis. Have had ZERO problems with my AEBS and it's been a more solid performer than any other router I've ever used.