Are there any good USB to lightning cables?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Samtb, May 5, 2017.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

Are there any good ones which last? I've tried the official Apple ones, the braided Anker ones and cheaper ones. They all seem to last as long as each other - about 6 months.

2. nivekr11 macrumors regular

I like the braided Tech Armor ones.

3. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I've never understood how so many people have issues with their cables. I've never had an Apple cable fail. I got my original iPhone on the first day available in June 2007 and I kept it until October 2011 when I got my iPhone 4S. I used the 4S until September 2016 when I got my iPhone 7. During the 9 years I used my original iPhone and iPhone 4S, I used the same cable to whole time, the one that came with the original iPhone. Never had an issue with it. I also have my iPad Pro 12.9 for a year and a half now, and still using the cable that came with it. Before the iPad Pro I had a MacBook Pro for 5 years, and never needed a new power cable for that one either.

I guess I don't beat on my cables. They always they last.

All I can suggest is to not pull on the cable itself but pull on the connector when you disconnect from the phone or from the power adapter. If you pull on the wire, then they are going to fail after some time no matter how it's made.

4. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Usually,good third party cables are more durable than Apple original. I used different brands,and most of them been ok,as long as its only the cable.

5. Avenger macrumors 6502a

I found that my cable, after abt 2 years started to fray at the connector. The same thing happened with my micro-USB cables as well in about the same time frame. The rubber peels away.

6. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

still use the cable that came with my iPhone 6 (purchases on launch day) and another one at work. zero issues. never had issues with cables on any of my iPhones.

7. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I would agree with this whole-heartedly. I've been using iPhone since the 3G and went through a couple of the 30-pin cables, but no more than one or two... when Apple switched to the lightning cables (iPhone 5), I've only had one fail... and it was my fault. I closed a drawer on the connector breaking it. I have had every iPhone since the 3G, every lightning connector iPhone, and multiple iPads... currently my wife, myself, our kids and our grandkids regularly use the devices and plug/unplug them... and only ONE failure.

If you take care of the cables (roll them loosely when not in use, plug/unplug them by the connector, etc), they will literally last for years. Of course, if you yank them out of the device by the cord and wind them up tightly, you're going to have problems.

8. antnee macrumors regular

It really depends on how you handle the cable plugging it in. If you bend it at the connector its bound to fray.

9. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I use the Anker powerline (they aren't braided) for a while and they seem solid.