Are there any great word processing Apps for Ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vizzle, Nov 8, 2011.

1. vizzle macrumors newbie

Looking for a word processing app. Does anyone have one to recommend that isn't too expensive?

2. vizzle thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it just called notes?

3. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Notes isn't a word processing app. It's a simple editor, very simple and it's built-in on the iPad. I suspect the previous post was a bit of a joke.

Pages is probably the most fully featured word processing app for the iPad. It's not a professional level WP application but it has some nice features for integrating text and images and flowing the former around the latter.

If you're used to Word, your best bet is probably Documents To Go or Quick Office HD. They, too, are limited emulators in a number of ways but they do provide a Word-like interface. (Not the most recent version of Word, though.)

If none of these meet your needs, you'll probably have to resort to something like Splashtop or LogMeIn to remotely access Word or Open Office on a PC.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

5. vizzle thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you work on word document programs through log me in? ANd thank you for your advice. I thought notes was short for something.

6. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I haven't used LogMeIn but I assume it would enable you to use a PC's existing word processor. Enabling you to use a pc remotely is the point of the app. I've downloaded Splashtop but haven't used it to access individual documents on the PC.

I'm sure others have more experience with each of these apps than I have.

7. Joshitect macrumors member

I have logmein.

I don't think you will like it for word processing. There is some slight lag you have to deal with and the navigation isn't perfect. Its great for me to be able to jump on my work/home/htpc computer and do some small tasks like printing or emailing someone or myself a file, but beyond that I would rather have an app (even if it wasn't full featured). Plus to use it you will always have to have an internet connection, so that will limit you.

8. Gol27 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I use notesy a lot, it really useful if you use dropbox. As all the notes I take are then transferred to drop box so I can read them on the computer. Has a nice built in folder system too.

9. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Just a note of clarification. There are many 'note-taking' apps available for the iPad. Some are limited to typed entry; some support handwritten notes; some convert the latter into the former. But none of these apps meet the usual requirements of a "word processor" with extensive formatting features and other tools designed to support a writer (or collaboration among writers working on a shared document.)

If one is looking for a note-taking app (i.e. a text editor) there are many choices. If one is looking for a "word processor," the options are few and limited.

10. vizzle thread starter macrumors newbie

I am mainly looking for something that I can type my notes in, and then later maybe email them to myself and put them in a word document.

11. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

In that case there are numerous choices. Notability is one I like for those limited purposes.

12. Cobb macrumors member

I would recommend you http://www.evernote.com/
    Evernote will sync your notes automatically between any devices so you don't have to email notes to yourself!

13. MallCop macrumors 6502

14. seb1230 macrumors newbie

As others have said, Pages works fine for Word Processing. My favorite day to day notes app is Notability. The design and usability are better than Notes or the other popular ones I've tried. I take notes every day with my iPad then have them all synced with Dropbox so I have them on my computer too.

15. matt90036 macrumors regular

notability is the best IMO
    - synchs to drop box directly
    - more intuitive than Pages
    - very fast and responsive typing experience unlikes pages and quick office

16. vizzle thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got notability! On sale for a $1.