Are there any iPad 2 cases in existence that will hold the cover back???

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by LincolnsiPod, Sep 7, 2011.

1. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

I'm looking at cases with the equivalent of a smart cover, but have yet to see (other than the Smartshell by Speck) any case that would hold a smart cover in place when it's folded completely back. Instead they all flap around and it drives me NUTS.

The Smartshell has a magnet in the back to hold the smart cover in place, but the plastic shell feels like exactly what it is: a cheap, crappy plastic shell. I'm looking for something that's a bit better quality than that and feels smoother in the hand than the typical feel of sharp, jagged plastic. :p

There has to be a case out there that's close to what I'm looking for. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. techdude6693 macrumors 6502

The iSkin Solo Smart is a good option if you want something that's not plastic. As for holding the cover back, take a small magnet or something like that and stick it to the case to hold the cover

3. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm using velcro now, but if I can find a magnetic strip somewhere (Walmart I'm guessing) I could try that as an alternative.

4. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

You don't need a magnetic strip. All you need is a strip of metal the SmartCover magnet will attract. Go to a hardware or auto parts store and get a cheap feeler gauge. Glue to the case at the bottom where the Smart Cover will stick. Voila.

5. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Good idea, I think I might opt for shielding tape instead as suggested in another thread: thinner and I can peel it off or cut as many as I need until I'm satisfied with the fit. :D

6. allaigra macrumors newbie

There's the Incase - Mag Snap Case. I haven't bought it yet, but I'm hoping it's good. They sell them at bestbuy.

7. techdude6693 macrumors 6502

I think he wanted something that isn't plastic

8. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

I can deal with plastic if the texture is smooth, I guess it depends on the type and brand. The Speck I tried didn't smooth out the edges, leaving it sharp and uncomfortable to hold. :eek:

9. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Similar issue with the Speck I have. In addition, the nice little metal strip that the magnet in the SmartCover attracts to hold itself in place came unglued after about two months. Luckily it stuck to the SmartCover so I was able to glue it back in place but I wasn't impressed.

I happened to have gotten a new ENKI (www.enkigear.com) case after I received the Speck and found it to be both a bit thicker, stiffer, and better finished. Glued the feeler gauge strip to the back of it and duplicated the functionality of the Speck.

BTW, I received the better built ENKI case because I had originally ordered from them and eventually received a POS case that they replaced free of charge when they got their act together. Before that happened, I'd given up on them and ordered the Speck case. It appears that ENKI has their ****** together now and their cases are (a) less expensive than some competitors ($20); (b) better built and finished as noted; and (c) manufactured in the US (if that matters to you.)

10. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

11. Ckwilson73 macrumors member

I have a Magico made by Tucano, it has a little metal strip built into it to hold the smart cover against the back. It works great. I picked it up at Fry's.

12. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'll look into that as well!

13. realbrandon macrumors member

That would be a great suggestion for manufactures. I haven't seen any case like that.

14. ifman macrumors member

ifman