Are there any new MBP owners that are actually happy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tx2005, Nov 4, 2016.

1. tx2005 macrumors regular

Lots of negativity out there regarding the new MBPs. I know there are a number of people who read the forum that have picked up the base 13" over the past week. I imagine not everybody hates it, so maybe it would be a nice change of pace to have some people express what they like about the new MBP and why they are enjoying it.

I picked one up yesterday and my girlfriend and I are both enjoying it. It's her first Mac ever and my first one since the pre-OSX days. We wanted a newer laptop we can have as our daily computer with a good battery life and easy to travel with. I have an older gaming laptop that I was looking to maybe replace with a 15", but held off due to the weak dGPU. I'll likely pick up a Windows laptop with the new Nvidia line of GPUs next year. We both wanted a Mac since we have Apple everything else and I like how well all the devices work together.

For us this purchase made the best sense. I didn't want an Air without the Retina, and the 2015 ended up being around the same price when I upgraded to 16/512 (since the 2015 starts with only 128 gb). I figured I'd go with the newer gen intel chip and I don't think the Touchbar is a must buy at this point. Maybe a few years down the line.

I think the display is great and the battery life has been pretty amazing so far. The keyboard takes a little getting used to but it's fine, and I'm somebody who uses a mechanical keyboard that my Windows laptop is docked into, which is a drastic difference form this. It took me an hour or two to get used to, but now I'm typing without any issues.

I'm happy with the purchase and my girlfriend is loving it, so I have no complaints.

Anybody else actually happy with their purchases?

2. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

3. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

I can't wait to get my 15".

The whining on this forum is becoming insufferable.

4. sgript macrumors member

sgript

5. tx2005 thread starter macrumors regular

It seems to happen with every new product launch. I haven't ventured to the iPhone area for a while, but around the 7 launch, it was pretty bad.

6. Devyn89 macrumors regular

Devyn89

I have one and I'm really loving it, the size, the weight, the keyboard, the screen is amazing. I don't use the ports all that much so the move to USB-C was fine with me. Also the Space Grey colour is amazing. Very expensive but very beautiful.

7. andrewbee macrumors newbie

You should venture into the Mac Pro forum. This was pretty much their reaction after the Apple event
    [​IMG]

8. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

FTFY.

Edit: Thought ~~ ~~ would strikethrough. Sorry.

9. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Lol. Microsoft Surface.

10. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

That'd be mine too if I were waiting for an updated Mac Pro. The Mac Mini too. It's very justifiable complaining.

Whining about USB-C isn't, IMO.

11. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

I'm very happy about my new MBP that should be coming soon. I'm also very sad the Mac Pro is so neglected so badly, I would have loved a new one to go with my MBP

12. jjlannoo Suspended

I'm excited to receive mine. Tho it's going to be a few weeks till it ships. Looking forward to the touch bar looks fun and techy.

I have been very happy the last few years with both my early 2013 model and Apple support.

13. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

i don't think i've ever been as excited about the release of a new computer

and i ain't young

won't get here till next month tho !

14. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Looking forward to mine showing up. Super happy with them going to USB-C/TB3. The touchbar looks very promising, after seeing the Adobe demo

15. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Don't blame people for complaining. Blame Apple for pricing the product too high and not having product ready at launch. You'd think that for $1800 bucks you'd be able to pick up the product in the stores and get some service as a result of the money you are spending.

Apple is the only company who punishes people who are willing to spend significant amounts of money on their products but not giving them some customer service. They should at least be afforded the opportunity to get some in person service.

16. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

^ this person is claiming apple has bad customer service

can we just stop and marvel at how turbo the whiners have become ?

apple. the company that has stores everywhere, choc full of people there just to listen to you whine

the company that will basically fix or give you a new computer no questions asked when it breaks, even when it's probably not covered by the warranty

apple has unreal customer service

17. john g. macrumors member

john g.

13" non touch bar, 16gb RAM & 256 gb SSD.

Mixed bag.

Bad: 2 ports instead of 4
    Bummer: Price
    Hassle: Dongles for now

Good: keyboard, I think I will get used to it. fast, but loud
    Great: the speed
    Fantastic: the display

I had an accident which mildly effected my vision so having the best screen on an Apple laptop was my prime consideration. Really fantastic display.

Was interested in the touch bar version but between the computer, dongles, & AppleCare I am at the limit of what I want to spend.

18. fpenta macrumors member

I'm smiling while my wallet is crying!

19. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

So you bought a computer, went to an Apple Store and asked them for what exactly? What was their response? GTFO?

I'd also like to mention that it's impossible to get he same service everywhere from a company as large as Apple. If you think every single support rep from Apple is going to be stellar you don't understand how life works. I'm not saying whatever your anecdote is not legitimate, I just wanted to point that out.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2016 ---
    This isn't to criticize what you're happy about, but I'm SHOCKED not more people are pumped about TouchID coming to desktop machines. I've wanted this since I heard about it for iPhone. This and the power-to-weight ratio is what I'm most excited about regarding my forthcoming machine.

20. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

Absolutely! I've been waiting for this a long time, too. Will be nice to have a non-half-assed fingerprint implementation in a laptop.

21. iizmoo macrumors 6502

It's ok this year. But I think it'll really take 1-3 years for the UI/UX people from 3rd parties to really put out TB support on most of the apps. It's great to see the potential, but we're not going to be able to realize it for a while. It's once that happens that most people will wonder how they ever got around without TB. For the enthusiest, I think there's an anxiety issue of trying to wait for next year, or get it this year, even though we know it's really cool, it'll only be partially usable.

22. Macalway macrumors 68020

The base model is gimped, so we are going to have to wait about a month. I'm just going to leave and come back then.

23. Impatientmac macrumors regular

Probably would be if they had started shipping. This wait is terrible.

24. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Its not worth the old tech being served up at a ultra premium price.

25. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

I'm excited about getting mine. It will be a replacement for my 2012 rMBP. I was waiting for a smaller and lighter option for the past 4 years as I watched Apple just update specs year to year. Sure I wanted more power each year but I made the decision to wait for the next redesign. I'm happy with 4 TB3 ports and have no issues with not having all the other ports. I would have liked to still have MagSafe. I'm also excited about TouchID to unlock. I have no idea if the TouchBar will be useful or not but willing to give it a try.

My only hesitation/worry is the keyboard. I have the 12"rMB and I'm okay with the keyboard but prefer the traditional one on my rMBP. I hope if the new design on the MBP has a little more travel than the 12" then it should be okay. I don't type much anyways so it isn't a big deal.

So yes I'm excited for this refresh...