Are there any other methods of charging?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahoydecoy, Nov 14, 2016.

1. ahoydecoy macrumors member

Excuse the novice post, but are there any other (third party) chargers available for the MPB 13" w/touchbar?

I had a search for 61W USB C chargers and unsurprisingly nothing came up. Do I have to spend £80 on apple's to get a spare?

It's not 100% necessary, it would just be nice to have a back-up to keep permanently plugged in in the house and another in the bag.

2. kwandrews macrumors 6502

Not that I have seen yet. I have a 2016 MB retina 12" and the 13" (non-touch) that have the same style of charger. Here is what I do, and no second charger needed! I LOVE THIS!

I leave the charger at home. I'm getting between 7-10 hours of life on each with use of MS Office, Remote Desktop and other "IT work" related things (spreasheets, etc.). It just depends on the task at hand. I no longer feel the "need" to carry the charger. What do I carry? Because it's USB-C, it can charge from most any portable battery pack. I have the Anker 20,100 model and it is native USB-C and also has 2 USB-A ports. This ONE device can charge my MB/MBP and the iPhone as needed on the road. No outlets needed, I can charge in the car, on a plane, etc.

Right now. I'm traveling on business. I leave the wall charger at the hotel and fully charge at night. The Anker goes goes in the bag. I also re-charge it at night...If needed, and it has't been. I won't carry it tomorrow.

So far, today. I've been on the MBP '16 13" since about 9a-2p about 75% of the time. It's still showing 84% battery life at an estimated 7.2 hours.

3. ahoydecoy thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. Thanks for your input - that's definitely something worth considering, for the cost difference alone. But really what I'm looking at is that I quite often go away for at least one night. I'd love to keep a power cord plugged in by the desk where I work at home and keep another permanently in the bag so that I don't have to remember it/bother to unplug and plug it in. Maybe that's just me being lazy though.

4. bmustaf macrumors regular

I have been using my Anker USB-C capable battery to charge it but when you are using it it does not take a charge as the draw is too high, but it does stop the bleeding a bit.

5. kwandrews macrumors 6502

This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerC...479184708&sr=8-4&keywords=anker+usb-c+charger It charges just fine. I am using it right now as a test. To use it, so it doesn't draw....1) push the power button on the Anker, 2) connect cable to Anker and Mac. It should now be charging your Mac. Mine just went up 1% in the last 4 minutes. Note that most of the time, when I do charge it on the go, I'm not actively using it. When I have it in my bag, it's charging and that works well for me. Yes, it works better on my 12" MBr, but it does as well on the 13"

6. Brandon Hobart macrumors member

Brandon Hobart

I suggest you not to charge your MBP with any alternative charger as these chargers won't work perfectly right. The charging is usually slow and the battery drop down percentile is too high. It can only become a regression charging it with the charger other than the original one.
    As far as your issue is concerned, I have a single charger that I keep in my bag. My working hours are almost 10 hours so I usually charge it 100% at work. If needed, I charge my system at home after I get back but mostly the charge never drops down below 50% so a single charger works for me anywhere.

7. kwandrews macrumors 6502

My MBP 13" NT has been turned on since my last reboot which was 12 hours ago...running only on battery while I'm at a business conference. Through the day, I actively used it for about 5-6 hours (mainly Outlook, Skype for Business, Pages, VPN connection and misc web browsing). I'm still working on it right now, battery only. Charge is at 53% and an estimated 4:47 min remaining. Screen has been at about 75-80% brightness, keyboard backlights off all day, but now on back at hotel in the evening. I did leave the Anker charger at the hotel today. No need for a charger of ANY kind.

On another note, I did get a kick out of watching all of the big, bulky business Lenovo's and HP's with everyone huddled around charging stations and plugged in all the time. That must suck.