Are there any perfect Uni MacBook Pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iSimx, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iSimx macrumors 6502

iSimx

Hi, I'm planning to get a MacBook Pro later this month but looking through the forums I'm just seeing worrying amount of problems. Whether it be, backlight bleeding or screws falling out, scratches building up, unibody keys touching screen, battery not lasting that long, .... dents. The list goes on. I really like the notebook but if I buy one, do I have to be lucky to get a perfect build??

Thanks!! ;)

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There is no such thing as perfect.

You can always find a flaw if you look hard enough.

3. BrettFarve04 macrumors regular

4. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

5. Hack On Wheels macrumors newbie

Definitely. The problem with spending time on here is that you find out about way too many little issues that you otherwise would never have noticed. It's a disease... if you want to be happy with what you get, run away from here as quickly as you can!

If you don't... be prepared to find an issue with every MBP you ever use and to never be happy with what you have, there will always be something better!

6. naths macrumors 6502

most people who post on these forums have a problem,and considering how many computers Apple sell they are a very very small minority,me for one am on my third mac.G5,intel imac(original) and now macbook pro,and iv never had any problem not even a sign of one...so they are a lot more "perfect" macs out there then these forums lead you to believe...:D

7. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

no. you should give up and never buy a mac again.

what a rather absurd question.

why don't i give you a couple more things to worry about.....

will it make a high pitched whine?
    will the headphone jack be loose?
    will the glass pane falls out?

nervous yet? how about......

will the keys get permanently oily?
    will the hinges be too loose?
    will there be a dead pixel that is considered to be normal to apple?

did i scare you away from a mac yet? no? how about......

did you get the best lcd panel available?
    will the screws on the bottom of the macbook pro fall out?
    will the case be a little bit warped?

by the way, all the issues i've mentioned have been DOCUMENTED on these forums. None are made up.

have a great day.

8. n8236 macrumors 65816

Simply put, I can tell you my UMBP has been a Hell lot better than my first gen MBP. And I am typically very picky about things like this, esp. something of this monetary magnitude.

9. laurynn macrumors newbie

I love mine! I got it about a month ago and so far my only complaints would be the battery life and the hinges. My battery only lasts about 2 hours unless I turn the screen brightness down significantly, and the screen falls back all the time if I move the laptop at all. I'm sure the Speck case doesn't help with that either, but it's still a little bit annoying. I think that in browsing forums you are going to come across a lot problems, for any computer really. The battery life and weak hinges wouldn't turn me away though, the pro's seriously outweigh the cons as far as mine goes. I just made the transition from PC to Mac and I will never go back. This is truly the best computer I've ever owned. It just feels limitless compared to my old Vaio.

Good luck! :)

10. iSimx thread starter macrumors 6502

iSimx

wow thanks for that intelligent reply.... :rolleyes: someones had a bad day... lol

11. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Laurynn, there are plenty of MBP's that are almost perfect. What you have to understand, that people won't tend to post about their machine unless it's playing up somehow (software/hardware). So while there may seem an alarming amount of threads detailing problems, they should :cool: be the minority.

Though if you search, you can find many members posting about their mac, saying how great it is when they received it.

12. iSimx thread starter macrumors 6502

iSimx

ok - when I meant by perfect, I didn't litterally mean perfect as there's always room for improvement. lol.

When you buy a notebook over £1000, you DO expect a good product and when you get dents, or screws falling out, I count that as a pretty big flaw lol.

As for "Uicandrew", not all of us have £1000 to throw away. So when spending that much, I hope to get something decent...:rolleyes:

13. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

checked it all out, mine seems perfect.
    All except for the little high pinched sounding rattles that will come from the right speaker here and there. Yet again every unibody machine does this so I am not worried at all and its nothing major to me the longer I have it. I think this machine along with everyone built is built for the exact specifications apple wants and nothing more.
    All of these "flaws" that people speak of are not even a big deal at all. These products are built so well that if we see the smallest of mistake or flaw we think its something huge.

14. Ploki macrumors 68020

mine is more than decent.
    its great actually. havent had any issues listed on these forums.
    documented.
    i think the people who post problems here arent the majority of buyers.
    anyway, i have a 15" 2,53 and it doesnt have a loose hinge, squeaky noise, bent body, slant keys (or maybe it does but i didnt really took an HD picture of it and measure it digitally...?! lol.), it doesnt have light bleeds (well, at least i didnt notice it and i have a black background and a black dock. :D ), i dont give a **** how the speakers sound because the speakers are a joke anyway and i have a pair of portable hp's in my bag always.
    so down the line, i couldnt be happier.

i think my mother which has recently bought a unibody 13" for work doesnt have any issues at all either.
    so in my experience, these machines arent half bad. actually, they more than half great. :)

15. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Apple creates strong expectations from their products. You buy one, spending quite a lot of money, and you find out the bare reality: they are as good as the cheaper ones but can present 'strange' defects due to the requirements imposed by their low thickness.

Everyone can tell a different story and different experiences. I can only say that both my early 2008 and my late 2008 MBPs have had or have defects. I am not aware of a single defect-free MBP sold to people I know during the past two years.

Screen, microphone, keyboard, battery, charger, ... With some defects you can live with, with others you can't. If they were cheaper, the defects could be "understood". At their price level they are very annoying. My experience with other expensive brands (IBM and later Lenovo) is completely different: not a single defect.

- thistle

16. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I <3 my unibody MBP. Ordered it on the night they were announced and the wait for it to actually arrive was well worth it. I haven't noticed any problems - maybe they exist but they haven't impacted me.

Trouble with spending too much time in forums that deal with issues is that you only ever see people talking about issues. Imagine if aliens landed in your local hospital carpark and went inside... they'd imagine from what they saw in there that all humans were sick and unhealthy... they wouldn't be getting a 'fair sample' of humans because healthy people just don't hang out in hospitals that much.

17. withe011 macrumors regular

Well put!

18. OnceBitten macrumors member

Please post a full length photo of yourself, I want to see how perfect you are.

19. doubletap macrumors regular

I have two 15" unibodies, a 13" unibody and a mac mini all on my desk, and they're all perfect.

DT

20. iSimx thread starter macrumors 6502

iSimx

:D:p Nice to hear the good experiences! and that people ARE happy with their MacBook Pros :apple:

21. iSimx thread starter macrumors 6502

iSimx

When did I say I was perfect lol.... but if you are paying over a grand for a product, I like to know I'm getting something well made....

you obviously didn't read my second post.

22. iSimx thread starter macrumors 6502

iSimx

23. mik34 macrumors member

That's like asking if there is a perfect woman. Jessica Alba comes close, but the answer is still no.

24. iSimx thread starter macrumors 6502

iSimx

Why are you comparing women with notebooks lol..

25. lordthistle macrumors 6502

What an unusual way to express nothing. For every person in a forum there are dozens who just don't care about writing their experience on these sites. And obviously not all the Apple hardware is defective: no reasonable man can think that.

What if you go on a MS Windows forum and read about all the freezes, bugs, viruses and trojans? Or what if you go on a VW forum looking for info on your Golf IV and its extraordinary dose of defects? Of what if you go on a Garmin forum? Do you conclude that you're in a "hospital"? You should (for the sake of coherence).

But it's wrong: they're a good approximation of the actual reality.

thistle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.