Are there any plans for a new iPOD TOUCH in September?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ItouchMe, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ItouchMe, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2011

ItouchMe macrumors regular

ItouchMe

I'm not sure Apple is going to be able to produce both new iPhones and New iPods. What do you think?

2. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Do a search; there have already been numerous threads about this.

It's getting old.

3. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

4. ESPN macrumors regular

I don't mind, these rumors are hog wash and people deserve to know the truth.

Jobs knows how valuable the ipod brand is to Apple as well as the phone and Macs. At this point the ipod touch 5G should be starting production, if not now, then in July.

5. WLS macrumors 65816

That there will be no Touches given out as promos this Fall says to me that there will be no new Touches.
    Apple gives them away to clear out inventory of old models. If there are no new models Apple will just sell what they have at normal price until they decide to end production.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Or they gave them away because that was a new market and they wanted people to adopt it (also a quicker way to gain market share), but after 4 generations and the fact that sales of the iPod touch are higher than of the iPhone 4, they now want to push and promote the Mac App Store since most people more likely already own an iDevice and it will more likely end up on eBay.

Also, to get a free iPod in the past you had to first pay for it, then wait 6-8 weeks for a refund check and I believe these Gift Cards are instant (and more convenient).

My opinion, Apple will launch a new iPhone along side new iPods this fall since iPods are still a hot holiday gift.

7. Sjhonny macrumors 6502

And why would that be? If Apple decides to discontinue a certain product line, all remaining stock appears in the refurb store. I don't see where the profit lies in selling them as refurb in comparison to giving out apple store credit, which costs them as much in terms of revenue. That being said, the iPod Classic and the iPhone 3Gs, which haven't been updated in nearly two years, are still in production. They even launched a new iPod G3 of 8 GB (remember?). Same goes for the octo and quad core Mac-Pro's. On the other end of the spectrum we have the Xserve, which was recently giving the EOL status, is still available in the refurb store.

8. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't think there will be honestly. But we shall see.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Or they might becoming more accurate at predicting sales so that they don't have a lot of inventory to clear out. They could simply be planning a new one and simply not ordering more of the current gen than they need to fill orders.

10. ESPN macrumors regular

Its business 101, why would they discontinue such a popular product, there are definitely undercover plans for development of the 5G

11. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Really great to see the OP got some hits on their blog after advertising it in this thread...

12. WLS, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

WLS macrumors 65816

They don't have to discontinue it at this time, just not make any new models.

But is it really true that it is so popular?
    some data would say that sales are stagnating.
    Here from Cloudfour http://www.cloudfour.com/ditching-the-training-wheels-why-the-ipod-touch-will-be-discontinued/

"iPod Sales are Stagnating
    Explosive growth is everywhere in mobile. I’m accustomed to looking at graphs with a sharp upward trajectory. So graphs that deviate from that pattern stick out like a sore thumb. Last October, Asymco published one that showed how iPod sales had been passed by iPhone sales.

Graph showing iPod sales have stayed relatively the same while iPhone sales have grown rapidly to surpass iPod sales

Since 2006, iPod sales have stayed at near the same volumes. There are seasonal growth spurts—many are sold during the holiday season. But overall growth has stagnated.

iPod revenue has continued to grow due the fact that an increasing percentage of iPod sales come from iPod Touch devices which have a higher price point. But even that growth didn’t prevent Apple from experiencing a decrease in iPod sales in Q2 with 9 million iPods sold compared to 10.9 million in Q2 2010.

No matter what silver lining you find, it is clear that iPod sales aren’t keeping up with iPhone and iPad growth."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    While unit sales may have been growing for the Touch it was within a market group that was showing overall loss in unit sales.
    That is not a trend that can continue. One can project that forward to say Touch sales are due to hit a wall soon if they haven't already. A lot of Touch sales (65%) are to younger teens but the number of younger teens with cellphones is increasing and their parents may be choosing to just get them an iPhone (perhaps their old one) in the future rather than a Touch. A big motivator for them to get their child an iPhone now instead of a Touch is simple- being able to track them through their phone with find my iPhone is a killer feature for parents. iPhone wins, Touch loses in that face off.

13. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Of course iPhone and iPad growth is higher than iPod growth. That's exactly what Apple wants.

14. ESPN macrumors regular

iPhones will always be #1 , iPad numbers are a fluke, it has reached its peak and all it takes is a good update to the 5G touch to boost touch sales.

Currently, including ALL devices, touch still has anywhere from a 2-1 to 5-3 ratio against ipad. In your link,the iPod touches are following an annual trend, it exponentially grows during the holidays and then it drops until the next update comes.

15. forcetactic macrumors 6502

I wouldn't think they'd release them at the same time in order to maximize sales. iPhone takes priority so iPod touch may see a delay too

16. singlestick macrumors regular

But what teens and parents want from a Touch is different. A friend's kids have Touches, and yearn for bigger capacity models to keep their video and music (they also are big on streaming). They use FaceTime. But they have cheap feature phones, their parents have Blackberries and their phone choice was determined by which carrier has the cheapest plan.

Basic iPods may have lost their appeal, but I think that Apple would be making a mistake if they got rid of the Touch.

By the way, and others may have mentioned this, but I don't see that the classic iPod could have a future in a Cloud based world.

17. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

There are always going to be "Apple Dooms day predictors" however we know and they know that Apple would always beat the competition at least for another few years at the least.

18. Michael383 macrumors 6502a