Are there any programs, apps, etc i need after my iphone is jailbroken?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iamthescottie, Oct 2, 2010.

1. iamthescottie macrumors newbie

My brother got my iphone 3g jailbroken for me and it is a little slow now, It came with a few things like cydia, installus, etc, and cydia has a lot of programs in its "manage programs" section...

The only thing i would consider keeping is winterboard cause i use glasklart theme, but i only use it for the clear icons so maybe i could get those somewhere else another time, but yeah, is there anything, or any programs and jailbroken iphone needs to have installed?

Thanks for the help, I'm new to the iphone : D

2. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

There are no apps that you "need", as far as I'm concerned. But from my experience there's many apps that I couldn't live without. SBSettings - access many settings toggles from your springboard without ever having to launch the settings app, such as turn on/off wifi, bluetooth, location, set brightness, manage alerts, etc. BiteSMS - the best SMS replacement app IMO, adds things like quick reply/quick compose, letting you view and respond to texts anywhere on your phone without exiting out of whatever app you're in, also from the lock screen. And there are millions of other very useful apps such as MyWi, 3GUnrestrictor, Iconoclasm, FolderEnhancer, etc.

EDIT: I realize this post may not be very helpful all in all. What I'd suggest is this - use your phone as Apple intended, and take note of things that bother you, things you wish you could do, things that seem lacking or flawed. And you can almost certainly bet that there's a JB solution floating around somewhere - if not in the form of an app, then through a manual tweak of system files or whatnot. Google is your friend here. You remember Apple's motto, "there's an app for that?" Well, when Apple leaves out basic, "duh" features and limits your ability to customize, "there's a jailbreak app for that." Hope this helps.

3. ellie2000 macrumors newbie

Im not jailbroken any longer and I miss BiteSMS & FolderEnhancer the most.
    So yeah. That is what I can recommend! :cool:

4. iamthescottie thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool guys, thanks. Those apps sound pretty good, especially the texting from anywhere, I think im gonna clear out a bunch of stuff, and then add on as I find I need some things like you said. I thought maybe some of the programs that came with my jailbreak needed to be in there for technical reasons or something, Thanks again : D

5. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Is your brother a thief? Installous is not part of a standard jailbreak.

6. DouchGod macrumors regular

DouchGod

I Jailbreak for :

Five icon dock
    Lockinfo
    Lockscreen clock hide
    MobileTerminal ios4
    Openssh
    SB settings
    Winterboard
    Multiflow
    SpringFlash (enable flashlight via Activator setting)
    Signal

7. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

I'm confused about BiteSMS & the love that it garners from the world at large.

When I 1st jail broke 2 years ago I used BiteSMS & while I liked the functionality I seem to remember, ( I haven't used it in over a year) that it was 2X the cost (maybe more?) of AT&T's 200 MSG for $5.00 plan.

I just thought $0.10 per MSG (or more) was a bit high for a text MSG & back then there wasn't even MMS available.

So, what's the attraction? :confused:

Did I just do it wrong? What's the cost per MSG using BiteSMS now?

8. PerfectChaos macrumors newbie

Even the themes you can get are pretty cool if you're into that.

What do you mean, standard jailbreak? Where do you get these other apps from other than Cydia? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm new to jailbreaking.

9. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

Ya know, I make it a point to stay out of & not to get involved in petty flamming but that's just elfin' rude & uncalled for...

Here's a guy who appears to be new to JBing asking what appears to be an innocent question & you have all the class & tact of a flaming ass**** by insulting him with a question like that.

It's just my opinion but maybe you could redeem yourself by restating your question after you apologize to him...

10. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Agreed...he was handed a phone with jailbroken apps on it and is looking for advice, not to be called out.

Bite SMS is probably a great app. I use something similar in iRealSMS. The ability to quickreply and quicksend from anywhere on the phone is one of the top reasons to jailbreak (IMHO).

11. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I'm not sure how BiteSMS worked 2 years ago, but now you can choose whether to send the sms through Bite or your carrier (so, standard text message rates). If that setting was present when you were using it, you obviously had it set to go through Bite.

I highly recommend BiteSMS. OP, if you get it, make sure to get the newest beta (I believe 5.0 beta 9 is the newest one unless they've updated it in the last day or so...which they may have). Go into Cydia and then Manage>Sources>Edit>Add and add the source http://www.bitesms.com/cydia/beta5.0 and you'll be able to get the latest beta version. It gets updated very frequently and they really listen to their customers and add a ton of nice new features.

I believe it just recently became free too (it now shows ads at the bottom) or you can buy a full license for $8.99 (which I did...I hate ads).

12. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

To the OP: I understand that what you were asking is does the user need to install any tweaks to make sure his jailbreak runs well? As in some kind of additional utilities, etc? The answer is no. Cydia comes pre-loaded with everything it needs to function. But even without Cydia, a jailbreak still exists. It's not a program or an app. A jailbreak is code that runs at startup that enables root access on your phone, and gives you write privileges on the entire file system, making it possible to install and modify anything. By itself, a jailbreak doesn't require anything to work.