Are there any programs where, if I have a size limit, I can compress something to the

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by oxband, Apr 13, 2012.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

So, I'm wondering if there are any programs which let me determine how large I want my video to be and then to compress accordingly. For example, if I have a 1GB limit on a video size for an upload site, I want a program that let's me compress a video to 1GB so I can have it be as un-compressed as possible.

Does such a thing exist?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

3. floh macrumors 6502

I second handbrake, a very nice tool. To hit the file size most precisely (with any encoder), be sure to check "2-pass encoding". If a rough estimate of the file size is enough and you prefer speed, you won't need the 2 passes.

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Use a bitrate calculator, then compress in Compressor to whatever codec you like.

Handbrake is nice and dandy, but kinda one-trick-pony. If you need something else than x.264 (a great codec btw), you are lost.

5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

That option used to be there but in the very latest version of Handbrake they took it away! It's not where it used to be for me, the only options now are RF and avg. bitrate.

The other way to do it is keep compressing the file over and over again at different RF's or avg. bitrates until you land the correct filesize.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Hmm...so they did. This should get you an older version with it:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20846162/HandBrake.zip