Are there any real options for setting up a NAS with seamless Finder integration?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mikel30, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Mikel30 macrumors member

I'm looking at buying a new MacBook, but hate deciding between 256 and 512 GB. I could get away with 256, but I would have to store some files on an external drive. These aren't files I use every day, but when I do need them, it's nice to be able to easily access them.

I was thinking about buying a WD MyCloud. I liked this because I could access the drive as a "Shared" network drive when I'm at home, just as if it were a USB drive. However, it seems if I leave the house, the only way to access that drive is either through the MyCloud app or web portal. And I'd really like to maintain Finder integration.

Then I did some research, and it seems one way to accomplish remote Finder integration is to run a VPN on the NAS. So when I'm out and about, I connect to the VPN, which makes the NAS appear as a local disk. But I've heard mixed reviews about doing this (I looked at Synology). Basically that you have to constantly stay attached to a VPN, some wifi connections won't allow this, and that the Finder integration can be finicky.

So, are there any real solutions to accomplish that that I'd be happy with sinking a couple hundred dollars into? Or should I just go for the 512GB of flash storage and keep most of my files with me?

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

The simplest way to achieve this would be enabling Back to my Mac, but that requires an Apple router + possibility to use it on your ISP's infra as the outermost router (WAN port needs to be visible on internet).